Macbook insurance needed (anybody had to claim?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sMiK, Dec 15, 2009.

1. sMiK macrumors regular

sMiK

Hello, I had my macbook stolen, and couldn't get it back. Now I've got a new one and want an insurance policy. I live in UK. I would like some feedback from people who have actually ever had to claim from them companies. Because I found a lot of suggestions but it seems that all the stories on the review websites just point to the fact that it's not worth taking it as they won't give you your money back. I am looking at http://www.laptopguard.co.uk/
    Any luck with any of them? Thanks. :apple:

2. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Insurance will only cover you if take precautions about storage etc.

If you get mugged and it's stolen, then you're covered. If you leave it next to an open window, chances are you are negligent as you've not taken steps to ensure it's safety, so you won't be covered.

Do you have a scenario where you think it might get stolen and want to check out cover?

3. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Can be covered under household contents insurance. Probably the cheapest option, and quite reliable as they deal with lots of claims for burglaries.

But check the excess, and check that it might need to be specifically named on the policy. (like expensive jewellery etc.) May not cover theft from outside the home.

Most policies will only cover replacement value i.e. second hand value. Also household insurance is harder if you live in rented or shared accommodation.

When I had a cycle, I looked at cycle insurance, and it just wasn't worth it - it was 20-25% of the value of the cycle per year. Cheaper to get a good lock and budget to replace my cycle every 4 years.

There are many things you can do to make your laptop less stealable. A good tip is never let it leave your side outside the house. That's what I do.

In the house, store it out of sight, not visible to any burglars that visit while you're out. While using it, try not to be seen from the street. The fewer passerbys that know you have a laptop at home, the better.

4. sMiK thread starter macrumors regular

sMiK

it just seems that they only cover for instances which barely ever happen. So if it gets stolen unattended which normally happens, it's not covered. Like the only way they will cover if you went with a laptop and someone punched you and took your bag - you're covered? :cool:

5. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Its the way insurance works. If you leave your front door unlocked your house insurance wont pay out. Leave stuff unattended and it'll walk, why should I as someone who pays for insurance pay for others foolish behaviour?

I use laptopguard's sister company Photoguard for my camera gear, their policies do state if you've made a reasonable attempt to secure the goods then they are covered.

I do think insurance companies try they best not to pay for anything though.

6. sMiK thread starter macrumors regular

sMiK

That's the point I am trying to make. I do have home insurance, but it doesn't cover for stuff that is out of the house. I understand te stupid behaviour thing, but then it comes out that you're covered against something that is very unlikely to happen. How to use Kensington locks in a coffee shop?

7. castlema macrumors member

Insurance

I am not sure of the vagaries of the UK market but you might look at getting what is called an Inland Marine policy (mine is called a personal articles policy). This coverage is often written for things like jewelry and cameras which are identifiable of lost and are covered for a specified amount. Mine covered my Powerbook G4 that was crunched when it was caught under a chair that my wife sat down in suddenly in an effort to not tread on the dog. It's a long story.

8. Bbusyb macrumors member

Bbusyb

When I was at Uni, I was able to get Laptop insurance for around £100 for a value of £2000, though I was lucky and never had to claim for it. I got it through Endsleigh, so it might be worth checking them out.

Now my friends, who bought Laptops from PC world / Comet have claimed for their laptops on which they had accidental damage and Theft coverage, and each time just got a gift voucher to purchase a new machine from the same store. The nice thing wit that is that you can get whatever you want, and are not tied to getting the exact same model or comparable.

As for your houshold insurance, do check as you can often get a rider for a little more that covers the laptop out of the house for a period of up to 30 Days, which can cover Holidays, etc. At least That option was available to me when I checked.

9. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I work in a small theatre company, and we have an insurance policy that covers our gear while on tour (laptops, video camera, projectors etc). I don't deal with admin, so I don't know the details, but it probably wasn't cheap.

The policy probably states that everything has to be supervised or locked away.

10. dbwie macrumors 6502