MacBook intermittent Internet (wifi)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by QCassidy352, Dec 26, 2007.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

so at home over the holidays I was having some problems with my wifi (I would keep losing my connection while family members did not). I attributed it to my family's wifi, but now I'm at my gf's parents' and having the same problem. So I'm worried about it being my MacBook. Is there any way to test the hardware? (btw I have AppleCare but I enrolled over the phone and don't have the hardware test cd)

2. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

You can take it into the Apple Store and they will run the hardware test for you. Sometimes this is a the result of a problem with the logicboard.

3. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

is it possible to get them to send the test cd? I did pay for AppleCare.

4. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Since you should have received it when you bought Apple Care, I don't think they'll send it again.

5. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the guy I dealt with when I bought applecare was, I kid you not, the single most incompetent tech support person I have ever dealt with. It took him an hour to arrange to have a repair box sent out to me, so I doubt he knew to send a test cd. I guess I'll just call apple and ask them to send another one, and if they won't, I'll go in to the apple store. Bah, annoying.

6. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Two things to try:

First, backup /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.plist to your desktop. Then delete the original from the filesystem and restart your computer.

If that doesn't work, try resetting the PRAM by holding down ⌥⌘pr (option-command p-r) while starting up your mac.

Depending on the nature of the problem, the above may save you a trip to the Apple store. If they don't, be prepared to replace hardware.

7. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

thanks much kyle. Will try asap :)