Macbook Internet Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maxthedrummer, Jan 21, 2008.

1. maxthedrummer macrumors newbie

So I just purchased my new macbook today and love it but I can't seem to connect to the internet. I already have a mac so I know the basics. I just unplugged the ethernet cable that provides Comcast cable internet to my mac mini and connected it to my macbook. Obviously when I opened Safari it told me I wasn't connected to the internet. Do I have to set up a network even though it is a wired network? If so how. I tired to figure it out myself but got confused when it started to ask my about if I was DHCP or PPPoE, passwords, servers, etc. Please explain any of the terms and how to connect to the internet. Also would suggest that I call Apple or Comcast phone support if I can't figure it out? To me since I already have internet working in my house I don't think its a Comcast problem. Thanks for all your help.

-Confused Mac Owner

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

When you go to System Preferences > Network, what color is the dot next to "Ethernet" and what does it say beneath?

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

use the network diagnostics assistant and it will tell you whats wrong with your connection. it will probably tell you to restart your modem and router so try that then restart the macbook.

4. lukegarnz macrumors member

try reseting the PRAM, i can't remeber the exact key configuration for it but i'm sure someone here will. I had a similiar problem and the genius at the apple store just reset my PRAM and it worked fine