Macbook Internet Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nate08, Dec 28, 2012.

1. nate08 macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2012
    Hi everyone! I've grown up with Mac Products my entire life but am no expert on computers in any sense of the word. I have an old MacBook 2008 running Mac OS X Version 10.6.8, with model identifier MacBook 5.1. My problem is I am unable to connect to any WiFi services with my computer. One day it just completely stopped working. To clarify AirPort shows that it is connected, showing full bars, but when I try to go on to the internet it doesn't work. If I go into the Network Settings it states that airport was unable to identify an IP address for the computer. I know it is not the internet service its self (my iphone, ps3, and ipad all work fine). I've also tried different internet connections at different places. The thing is, when I plug in an Ethernet cable the internet works. Basically what I'm curious about is whether the actual physical proportion of AirPort is damaged (like I said, not really an expert) or if its the software its self? I bought an external hardrive and backed up my computer in case I need to reboot it. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for me?
  2. moongirl41 macrumors newbie

Jan 3, 2013
    same problem here

I have the same problem... Since this morning I can't connect to the internet through wifi. My macbook can find the router but I have no access to the internet. I have OS X 10.6.8 (Macbook is from 2010). I can connect with cable but not with airport. In the network set-up the AirPort has a yellow light and says "self-assigned IP address" which may not give access to internet. I would also love to know whether it's a software or hardware problem.