Macbook Internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by graffic, May 12, 2008.

1. graffic macrumors newbie

I recently invested in a Macbook..

however would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a cable which connects safari to the internet?

Is it worth investing in wireless technology?

Help would be much appreciated, thanks

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

How do you currently get Internet connectivity into your house/apartment? The MacBook has a standard Ethernet port on the left side, as well as wireless built-in. If you use dial-up, you'll need to buy a USB modem.

Safari is just a browser to the Web; the need to connect to the outside world covers much, much more than that. Email, software updates, file transfers, chat, and on & on.

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

being that you have a macbook it is worth investing in wireless technology that way you can be online from anywhere in your house.

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

we gotta figure out what type of internet connection he has first here fellas, im guessing dialup

5. graffic thread starter macrumors newbie

Nah I have home broadband - "Zyxel" Utility Warehouse.

Does anyone know what you have to buy to set up wireless? Thanks

6. dpotent macrumors newbie

internet...

yes i would go for wireless because you don't have to stay in one spot to get internet you can go somewhere else.

7. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

you need a wireless router. you connect your Zyxel modem to your wireless router via cable, then after a short setup connect your macbook to the wireless network.

apple airport extreme wireless router is really good but there are other options, linksys is a good brand also.

8. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

To go wireless you need to get a Wireless Router. Apple Makes them they are called AirPorts and the Time Capsoles. Those are kinda like the Lexus of Wireless routers. You can pick up a Linksys or Netgear Wireless router for a lot less. I would go with Wireless G or better, but you will probably not notice much difference above G though.

Apples solution offers a nice interface for getting it setup. The linksys and netgears you normally have to go threw some extra steps getting it setup correctly. and insure you have proper security. An Open Network is really to dangerious (Anyone can use your internet connection and if there is a problem the police will knock on your door) but easiest to setup. Just read the instructions and follow them thoughly and you should be OK.

9. graffic thread starter macrumors newbie

10. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The Airport Extreme is a router and switch combined (as are most home routers--wired or wireless--today). Wireless units also have Ethernet ports for wired connections as well.

There is no "best router" for a given PC. Communications gear (modems/routers/switches) are PC-agnostic, and computers are telecom agnostic. Just like printers, it really makes no difference what brand you buy (assuming it's not junk in the first place). Apple's Airport Extreme is my first specific recommendation, after that, other brands include Linksys, Netgear, and D-Link.

It sounds like you have very little training or knowledge in this realm (and that's OK, ya' gotta start someplace), and the forums, as great as they are, may not be the best tool to assist. While we have the talent onboard, the back-and-forth can take a while, and lead to some misunderstandings. I would advise to have a knowledgeable and trusted friend assist you in selection & setup if possible. I say trusted, mainly because we don't want them talking you out of all the Apple goodness! :p

11. graffic thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers JohnNotBeatle

Before we set up a wireless network is there a simple lead I can buy which will connect my macbook to the home broadband?

Help is much appreciated, Thanks