Macbook+ iPad 2 Vs 2010 Macbook Air Ultimate(13")

Discussion in 'iPad' started by andygabriel, Apr 6, 2011.

1. andygabriel macrumors regular

Hi MR,

I'm going back to college to do an undergrad in Nursing. At the moment i have a early 2008 WHITE macbook(2.4ghz, 4GB Ram, 500GB) and it's still working fine.

I'm thinking about getting something more portable for school.

Option 1: Keep my macbook and use it to write papers for school and use it as a desktop replacement( bluetooth keyboard, External screen) and get the iPAD 2 to take to school to take notes( notes +/ notetaker HD) and browse the web, email, Calendar)

Option 2: Sell my early 08 macbook and Get a 2010 Ultimate Macbook Air 13".

What do u guys think is a better choice?

Cheers

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

The Macbook that you have is a good machine. I would keep it for the needed productivity applications. Plus you might have specialized applications for nursing that require (among other things) Flash and install rights.

I think the iPad would be great for a Science-related major. The ability of the note taking apps to annotate PDFs would be a terrific feature to utilize. Thinking back to my CS classes, I would have loved an iPad to be able to annotate class slides.

3. princealyy macrumors regular

I would keep the MacBook and add the iPad to your list. Why? Basically the laptop you have is still very current and it can do most if the things you would need and is still portable enough to be taken to school once in a while.

The iPad will take great notes and help you when you are trying to pass some time as well (ie games and other small things)

4. vjicecool macrumors 6502

Your white macbook is enough for you
    You may need to consider installing windows on that machine if needed so you can run windows apps.
    don't buy an i pad or sell your old macbook
    Save money

5. jacobson00 macrumors member

i dito what everybody said. keep your mac it is still current.

6. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

This is what as was leaning to. Keep the macbook and get an ipad 2. My macbook already has windows on it and i also have MS Office for Mac.

I think i'll put a bigger Hard drive in it so that i can use it as a desktop replacement and i at the moment i also use my macbook as a media server since i connect my macbook to my LCD TV and have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse + Airport express.

Cheers guys!

7. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Without a keyboard, the iPad isn't a great note taking machine, imo.

But, there are good keyboard options... ones I particularly like are the Zaggmate and the Apple options.

8. PBz macrumors 6502a

Add me to the list of keeping the MacBook. I miss mine.

9. ndrosubiyanto macrumors member

10. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

So guys reckon that i should keep my macbook and eventually upgrade to Lion and buy the iPad 2?

I would really like to get the iPad(32GB WiFi only) and i think it'll be very handy just to carry the iPad to school and being able to browse the web and write notes instead of carrying my macbook to school everyday which i think is kinda overkill since i don't think i'll need a full fledge computer at school. The ipad can read Powerpoint and PDF and can annotate PDFs.

I'm not a heavy computer user and all i use my laptop for is for Web, Itunes, iLife and Aperture, Skype.

A Macbook Air would be nice but if i can save some money and just get an iPad for portability and keep my macbook since it's still plenty fast for most of my needs(except HD videos).

Anybody here has the combo macbook+ipad 2? Could you share how you use them?

11. ndrosubiyanto macrumors member

My combo is MacBook + iPad, hey you can't just leave iPad without a computer, right?

Leave MacBook at home, almost every computing works done on iPad. Except for photo editing will use MacBook the most. :)

12. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

Thx for your reply!

So how does this combo work for you?

Are you a student?

What do you use your iPad for?

Do you also use it for typing documents? I'd do this on my macbook though

13. ndrosubiyanto macrumors member

Documents

No i'm not student. I run small store, so i use use my iPad for documents, spreadsheet, income, expense. Yes i use it for typing documents, i'm not dealing with a lot of formatting the docs, so quickoffice fits my needs :)

14. falconeight Guest

falconeight

15. Drezin macrumors member

i was gonnna say "macbook air", but since u said u need a bigger hard drive than 500 GBs...
    get a macbook air + external HD =D

16. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

Thx but if i can save some money and get the ipad instead i'll choose that option. I'm looking for something portable and since my white polycarbonate 2008 macbook is still working fine, i was thinking that i could keep it. I also check the benchmark of the ultimate 13" Air and my 2008 is still faster than it. I'll only gain on graphic performance.

I would like to know if a macbook +iPad combo would work fine!