MacBook/iPod Education Special

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Andrew D., Apr 26, 2007.

1. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

So as we all know Apple likes to do an education special during the summer before the Fall semester for many college students. I hear they offer something like $179 off an iPod or an iPod nano (don't quote me on this).

So to my question; I'm planning on getting a REFURBISHED MacBook and I was wondering if Apple still adds that special offer or is it only exclusive for the New models?

Regardless, I think the refurbished MB's will do me just fine. The iPod really isn't important to me, I guess it would just be a bonus nonetheless. Thanks again all, you have never failed me yet! Cheers!

2. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

3. jnash macrumors regular

good question, but I havent seen a refurbed macbook in about a two weeks.

4. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

I think Apple restocks the refurbs every Tuesday and Friday morning.

5. Jayrod macrumors regular

I just bought a refurbished Macbook (which works great, by the way) a week or two ago, and there was no educational discount available on it as there is if you were to purchase a new Mac. So I can confidently say, no, you will not be able to get a discount during Apple's special summer student discount offering. I still saved over $200 on the refurbished one, so I think Apple may feel that that is enough of a discount :)

6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Nope, unfortunately the iPod deal is for new macs only.

7. Lucky8 macrumors regular

Lucky8

8. wongulous macrumors 6502a

No iPod freebie, but refurbs are awesome. I've had friends get free upgrades like RAM and HDD that weren't listed in the refurb description. Plus, obviously, the savings. Treat yourself to a shuffle of your favorite hue.

9. Andrew D. thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, it looks like I will still make the refurbished purchase. Thanks everyone for all your help! Hmm, maybe I will treat myself to a refurbished 2G shuffle.. haha. Cheers!

10. ironring2006 macrumors member

Yeah, for $49/59 USD/CAD for a refurb shuffle, you really can't go wrong. Although, I think the refurb prices on the MacBooks are about the same as the Educational Discount (no edu discount on refurbs), so if you don't need one right away (as in not until this coming September), I would wait for the updated MacBooks to come out anywhere in May-July, purchase the new MacBook with EDU discount, and get an iPod thrown in. You might even be able to get a 30GB full size out of the deal since they usually put the deal on whatever iPod they're updating later. New full size iPods are probably going to be out sometime in October would be my guess.

11. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Nah, it's not what they'll be updating, it's always a nano. But really, it's just a $179 rebate check that they send you.. so you can use it as a discount off a full size iPod if you want, but you have to pay the difference (ie: just in case you didn't know - you pay the full cost of the iPod up front, and then send in the forms and UPCs and they send you a $179 check. If you buy an iPod that is less than $179, then they'll only send you a check worth that much. If you buy one that's more than $179, then that's fine too, but you only get $179 back).