MacBook + iPod Touch Promo - Buy Now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Thorondor, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Thorondor macrumors newbie

My apologies if this is redundant:

I am planning to buy a new MacBook 13 Inch - Black. I am not desperate for a new computer, and can wait, but given the back to school deals, it is tempting to order one by September 15. If I buy a MacBook now then I get a free iPod Touch 8gb. I have never been crazy about iPods and likely won't listen to it very frequently, but I do like the idea of being able to use the WiFi features and whatnot.

But I have been hearing rumours that both the MacBook and the iPod touch are due for a re-release soon. I am not so concerned about the iPod touch. It is a free bonus, anyway, so if I get the 8gb one and they release a 12gb at the same price plus a bunch more features just after I get it, then...oh well. I won't buy one on its own, so if getting a free one means getting one that is nearly obsolete, that is fine. But I am worried about the MacBook release. The current one that I want to get seems quite nice. I like the 250gb hard drive (important, since I take tons of photos and am not good at deleting the bad ones), and it comes with Leopard, and all-in-all seems like a great computer. But will the next update make it all that much greater a computer, or will it still be basically the same thing, with a few new features.

So basically, my dilemma is: do I buy the MacBook now and get a free iPod touch, or do I buy the MacBook re-release in the fall and get nothing else with it. Is there any speculation as to whether the MacBook re-release will be significantly cheaper (I am expecting to pay $1449 CDN after the education discount, but cheaper would be nice). Or is it going to be essentially the same thing that is currently out? Any advice is appreciated...

As for why I need the computer, I mostly use my computer for the internet and word processing, although I do enjoy organizing my photos and videos and occasionally playing around with them in iPhoto, Gimp, iMovie, or playing with GarageBand, etc. I have a lot of photos and videos from travel and a large digital music collection. I don't game very much, and when I do I tend not to play FPS or any really high-graphic games. As I start my Ph.D., I can imagine myself using my computer extensively for GIS software such as GRASS, but perhaps not. I am currently on an iBook G4 from 2005, which runs OSX 10.3.9, has a 60gb hard drive, a Combo Disc drive, and is a nice, but obsolete computer. It serves me well and I can do most things with it, but I am looking forward to the additional features of Leopard, and the larger hard-drive.

Sorry about the length. I ramble, and like to lay out my case...

2. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Get the MacBook now and the iPod and you won't be disappointed. You can knock off some cash by just upgrading the middle white ones hard drive via the online store.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes buy it now if you need it, but remember this promotion is to get you to buy the whole lot.

4. stevoeddz macrumors member

I'm pretty much in the same position as you. I'm just going to wait for the updates.

I just bought a 16 gb iphone so I have no need for an ipod touch. I'd prob sell the touch anyways...

But I'd rather have wait because I'm sure these MacBooks will be much better!
    :D