MacBook is dead

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rakan320, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Rakan320 macrumors newbie

Rakan320

Hi guys I have mid 2012 MacBook Pro, I've got a GPU issue after upgrading to I guess El Capitan or Yosemite which affected my Mac battery and the screen's backlight which goes black. Few days later I decided to open it and see if I can fix it but accidentally I put the screwdriver between these things shown in the picture below a small spark comes out and the Mac died completely I want to know what are these things and what happened to my Mac. Before this it was working (the fan, the keyboard backlight, I was able to play music) but now it is completely dead.

Attached Files:

2. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

The screw driver probably caused a short circuit and damaged one or more capacitors/resistors.

The Macbook is a 15" retina?

3. Rakan320 thread starter macrumors newbie

Rakan320

Yes it is 15 retina.... So is there a solution for it because here in Iraq we don't have Apple repair center

4. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

You will need to find another laptop repairer who is happy to look at Apple laptops and see if they can fix it. It might be bad news though.

5. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

The video issue that your Macbook experienced is probably related to a known hardware problem with the video: https://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

I don't think the change in OS caused the problem.

The only way to fix the issue would be to have someone test the motherboard for circuit continuity and replace any defective capacitors, fuses, and/or resistors.

6. Rakan320 thread starter macrumors newbie

Rakan320

Thanks guys for responding, do you think replacing the entire logic board and the battery will be a good idea and it will fix everything.

7. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

The problem I see is the fact that the logic board has a known problem with the video card. A replacement logic board could be affected by the same video problem you experienced a few days or few weeks after replacing the logic board.

8. maxgts macrumors regular

maxgts

Contact Rossmann Repair Group so you can send it out to them. They get it fixed.

9. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Sending the Macbook to New York from Iraq is going to be pretty expensive. And the repaired board may still suffer a video failure.

10. maxgts macrumors regular

maxgts

Didn’t realize he was in Iraq. I’d still get a shipping quote.

11. Rakan320 thread starter macrumors newbie

Rakan320

Isn't the VGA card is Integrated with the logc board. Then when replacing it the VGA card will be replaced too?

12. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Yes, but the replacement logic board might be affected by the same video problem.

The early 2011 15" and late 2011 15" also had a video problem where the GPU will fail. Apple offered an extended warranty too. When Apple replaced the 2011 logic board, they replacement logic boards used the same GPU so these replacement boards will also fail. Some owners had the 2011 logic board replaced multiple times because the GPU always failed.

13. Rakan320 thread starter macrumors newbie

Rakan320

So my 2400$ MacBook is gone

14. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

If it were my Macbook, I would look for someone in my area that can perform board level repairs and has the schematic diagram for the logic board before considering a logic board replacement.

15. Rakan320 thread starter macrumors newbie

Rakan320

Iraq is **** country that is good for nothing, there may be an expert in MacBooks who will probably make me pay a lot of money just for the check not for the fix

16. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

That's unfortunate and I do sympathize with you because I had a late 2011 15" i7 Macbook that had a failed GPU. It was in mint condition but, one day, I turned it on and I got nothing by a white screen. Apple could not help me because the warranty program for the video chip had ended.

17. Rakan320 thread starter macrumors newbie

Rakan320

Thanks brother.

18. maxgts macrumors regular

maxgts

Pay the shipping whatever it may be and send it to Rossmann. How much can it possibly be to ship? Your $2400 MacBook Pro is worth it.

https://www.rossmanngroup.com/

19. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

You are welcome. I wish you the best of luck with a repair or replacement.

If you send it to the Rossman Group as suggested, you need to send the entire Macbook and not just the logic board. If the logic board has been repaired before, you will need to contact them before sending it in.

https://www.rossmanngroup.com/board-repair/

https://www.rossmanngroup.com/shipping/

20. jerryk macrumors 601

Any way you can upgrade to a 2015 or later MBP? Your 2012 MBP is going to go to non-supported by Apple soon (2019 , 2020).