Macbook is doing weird things..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tresbien, Sep 2, 2008.

1. tresbien macrumors regular

tresbien

After using my macbook, putting it to sleep, and then trying to start it back up again after not using it for an hour or so, it started doing weird things.

First, when I started it up after being is sleep mode, nothing would open after clicking. It showed that it was loading and then never stopped. I tried to restart it, but it wouldn't restart, so I held down the power button until it shut down. After waiting a few seconds, I tried to reboot it...and this is were I got really confused.

The screen went white (or light blue, idk) and what looked like a picture of a folder with a white question mark on it started flashing on the screen. I waited to see if I could click on anything or if any options would come up, but nothing happened. I pressed the power button and the screen went black almost immediately. I waited a couple of seconds and tried to start it up again and the same thing happened.

I then shut it off again and went to the other computer to see if I could find out why it was doing that. While waiting for things to load, I decided to try to start up my macbook one more time..and it turned on and started up perfectly fine!

Does anyone know what might have caused that to happen? I'm really confused and don't want it to become an even bigger problem in the future.

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Hard disk problem...

Go to system preferences and then startup disk and make sure your current disk and system are highlighted......if they are not then highlight them and then take the restart option.

Then run disk utilities from an install dvd and check and repair permissions on the startup disk.

Then backup everything - might be a blip but often the start of hard disk trouble

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

It's definitely having trouble finding the hard drive. If it's not the hard drive starting to poo the bed, than it may be a loose cable.

4. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I'm having troubles as well. I don't want to create a new thread but crashed spectacularly while watching a film from iTunes. Anyway I reset it and while it appears to go into FireWire mode on boot mode it makes not a clicking sound but a dull ticking sound sound like it is thinking about something. I thought it was the time machine for a while until it happened just now. Anyway now on boot the fan goes crazy and then the laptop turns itself off. Anybody come across this before?

I accept it could be the HD and if it is I'll be replacing it since I installed the thing myself and I'll tell apple that but it would be nice to know now before I ring them tomorrow. At the moment I am using my iPod touch to type this.

So can anybody help?