Macbook is freezing randomly!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Had, May 6, 2019.

1. Had macrumors newbie

Had

Hey guys

I hope that you will be able to help me. I own Macbook Pro 15 (2015, a model with dGPU) and in the last couple of weeks it freezes from time to time (every day/two). In order to solve the problem, I changed Safari as default browser (as I most of the time it happens when I surf), and start using Chrome on a regular basis. It's been great for a week, but today it happens again. When it stops to respond I can move with the mouse, but that is pretty much it (as I can't do anything with it), so at least next 30 sec or so.

Please help, where I could start my investigation.

Thanks
    Had

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

3. currahee2100 macrumors regular

Does it go away if you reboot it? It could be a hardware problem if it goes away After a reboot.

Also try a different charger and see if it goes away, could be a power problem.

My MBP 2012 would freeze occasionally and the third party battery I bought basically gave up the ghost and was causing power issues.

4. Had thread starter macrumors newbie

Had

Safari has been a default browser for most of the time, as problems still persist.

Yes, reboot solves it (until next day). Will see if it is possible to get new charger. But if it is not some software issue, I should take it to the service anyway ...

5. pshufd macrumors 6502a

Some ideas:

- Take a look at the system.log file to see if something is happening just before or during the freeze period
    - Run with activity monitor showing processes and CPU time in case there is a runaway process
    - Create a bootable external drive and install a new version of the operating system and try running on that for a while to see if the problem is still there
    - Disable any applications that start up automatically
    - Use a different network if one is available or an ethernet connection instead of a WiFi connection if available
    - Disable all plugins to see if that makes a difference
    - Do you have any external devices besides keyboard and mouse? Try disconnecting them and running without them.
    - Could you disable the DGPU and run without it for a while?

6. Had thread starter macrumors newbie

Had

@pshufd Thanks man, that is a serious number of potential problem makers, will give it a shot. In the meantime, I took a print screen inside of the Console during the time when it freezes (exact time is 9:04). There is a couple of issues there, even most of them are repeating during the day (as this one about the Power assertion).

Attached Files: