Macbook - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by prmccarron, Nov 10, 2009.

1. prmccarron macrumors regular

prmccarron

OK, so here's the story.
    I got a Mac (specs in my sig) from my grandparents, bought in 2002. I am getting a RAM and OS upgrade, so that it'll be at 512 megabytes of RAM, and it will be running Leopard. My grandparents didn't want it because they got a Windows :)eek:) laptop and didn't care about this :)eek::eek:) because it was broken. They said that if they could fix it at the Apple store for under $200 I could have it. They did a harddisk wipe, and once my grandfather saw how "fast" it was, he said that if this didn't work very well for me (which it isn't) he'd buy me a $999 Macbook running Snow Leopard and take this one back. At first I'd thought it would be great, but then I started hearing bad stuff about SL and the regular (as in not Pro or Air) Macbook... but my current OS is terrible, slow, and not portable. Should I get the upgrade? Is it worth it?
    Please help!
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. maclook macrumors 65816

i saw a deal running around here about a $700 macbook after a $200 discount. that's absolutely worth it in my opinion. it will blow your current computer away. snow leopard is a great OS and i'm sure you won't have any issues with it.

3. brendu macrumors 68020

the deal is from microcenter... $999 for the macbook, $799 after mail in rebate that gets you a $200 VISA prepaid gift card... ill actually be picking one up tomorrow.

I have snow leopard on two computers... a macbook pro and an iMac... no problems at all on either.. i think most of the problems are with people who upgraded to aftermarket hard drives / solid state drives and such...

The macbook is a great computer, and if you live near a microcenter it is a sweet deal.