MacBook: is it worth to upgrade HDD and RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SloopJohnB, Apr 28, 2009.

1. SloopJohnB macrumors newbie

Hi fellow macusers! :)

I'm back to using a mac after 4-5 long years (I had to use a PC after selling my old ruby G3 iMac, long story) and I must say I'm VERY VERY happy that I've finally got a MacBook (the computer I've wanted for a long time).
    I got the white MacBook with the nvidia chipset. It came with 2GB of DDR2 667mhz and a 120GB 5400rpm HDD. I'm not a pro-user, I'm a med student so I'll use basically office, ilife, internet, mail and maybe a few games. My question is if I'll see noticeable improvements in these tasks if I upgrade de RAM to 800mhz (the nvidia whitebook supports it) and the harddrive to 7200rpm. Is it worth the extra money? How long will this kind of memory and HDD stay in the market? Should I wait and get them cheaper in the future? What do you think??

thanks!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It may depend on your games and if you are running Windows

If you are running Windows, I would say definitely more RAM
    If not, then you may not need the RAM

I don't know if you will see much difference in the HD

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. dr.devious macrumors regular

dr.devious

I installed a 500GB HD and 4GB RAM and they have been fantastic upgrades!

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

+1 for this. I did the same (though I had the ram and hard drive laying about already from other upgrades).

System is very peppy. Other than the weak screen this is a very nice laptop in OS X and Vista (overall experience rating 4.6).

Cheers,