Macbook is Slow/Freezing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mattxner, Jun 9, 2009.

1. mattxner macrumors newbie

To preface this, this is my friends macbook and I'm very unfamiliar with how they work. However, she had dropped her laptop off her bed (i'm not sure how bad of fall it was) , suffice it to say her screen broke and she asked me to fix it. This turned out to be a fairly routine job, save for the hinge that is a total pain to get back on.

On starting the macbook up, the screen/camera work fine but it is moving at a terribly slow rate. I timed it and it took 3 minutes to get to the login screen, 30 seconds to log in and another 2 minutes for her desktop to load. Once loaded, the applications take forever to start, lag terribly and some crash automatically (safari, ichat) despite being connected to network. On top of this, I have tried restarting/shutting down the computer but this freezes and will show the "thinking circle" for an infinite amount of time.

I have tried the disk utility, and it fails to verify the disk. I'm not sure what else to try, as I am unfamiliar with macs. I fear though, that she damaged her hard drive when it dropped, although once again I'm not sure.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You may be right. Have you run Apple Hardware Test? You can find it on her computer's restore disk 1; follow the instructions physically printed on the disk to get into it.