MacBook - is the update going to bring much?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by boldfire, Mar 22, 2009.

1. boldfire macrumors member

Hi,

Is the MacBook update coming pretty soon (according to buyers guide) expected to bring many improvements to it? Or is it just going to be a refresh with a speed boost and maybe some more RAM?

2. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

2.2ghz area and maybe 2.5 2.6 ghz at max ram will probley stay at 2gb. maybe an improved screen?

3. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

The next worthy update will be around Q4 2009-Q1 2010 with the new Nehalem architecture processor for notebooks (Arrandel @ 35-45w I believe). There MIGHT be an update before that, but it's really unlikely.

You can dream. how would it be worthwhile to Apple? From a marketing side, it would be like Apple saying the previous screen were crap (they are). They would waste money to put a better screen in there that wouldn't necessary for a lot of people, while cannibalizing MBP sales.

The update would still be Penryn. The least you can expect is a 0.1 ghz for the high-end Macbook and 0.1 ghz for the low-end MBP. Maybe a boost of for the base unibody Macbook and white Macbook of 0.2 GHz or 0.26 GHz and that's about it. It does not worth waiting if you need it for the beginning of the school year. If you want a real speed upgrade, the next major update would be around December at best.

4. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

I don't think it will come really soon... I foresee a timeframe of 1-3 months for this upgrade to happen. The Buyer's Guide is based on the average timeframe between updates, but lately Apple has been extended those timeframes. Last MacBook took over 200 days to be updated.

It will be a refresh only, as Apple redesigned it in October. The mobile Nehalem is coming only in Q3, so don't expect the next MacBook to incorporate it, unless Apple delays the product.

Apple will probably use the Core 2 Duo P7450 to replace the P7350, and the P8700 or the P8800 to replace the P8600 in MacBooks. Perhaps Apple will offer the T9900 as an option of the MacBook Pro, or a quad-core processor (that would be fine).

5. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Im guessing just a small processor upgrade within the next 1-3 months.

6. boldfire thread starter macrumors member

Well, I'm still using my first gen macbook pro quite happily so specs aren't that important for what I do. My main reason for the up(down?)grade is for a smaller, more portable machine and this one has some ware and tear now.

So I think I will just get it when I have the funds then. I guess whatever you buy you'll be using an old one soon enough anyway.

Thanks for the replies everybody.

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

all macbooks now can support up to 4GB of RAM (safely, according to Apple)

airforcekid is incorrect.

i assume they will add in some more features. perhaps a better video card? i think that's what we're all hoping for.

a lot of people complain about the screens - however i LOVE mine :)

8. Yodgee macrumors member

I cant see what they will update. The main selling point of the aluminium was the new video card and its dramatic improvements. Hopefully its minor as ill be purchasing a 2.4 unibody most likely mid-april.

9. herriiee macrumors newbie

I think the main selling poit would still be the unibody itself. :D

10. bkarabel macrumors member

11. svndmvn Guest

I think airforcekid meant 2GB of given Ram, not supported one.
    My opinions on the matter.. I believe the update is coming within a month, since the white MB got updated around february, same goes for the 17", and the 15" (2.5 and the 2.8) got updated like two weeks ago. And Macbooks usually get updated every six months..
    Either the White one disappears and they drop the prices on the other 2 models and add a better option or they keep it and offer a speedbump of .133GHz to the other two models, and to the Base MBP as well.
    They could expand the supported RAM to 8GB, but since they haven't for the 15" Pros it is doubtful.
    They could offer 6MB of cache, since it was 4 on the previous gen and now it's 3 on the MBs and base MBP, while it's six on the MBA.
    Oh, and probably a storage boost and/or an SSD for the Top model. 4GB of Ram?
    Most definitely just a few of these things.
    I doubt anything else could change: screen, battery, usb, firewire, graphics.

12. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Apple will update the Macbooks before back to school season begins, but it will not be a major update. Here is my reasoning.

Form factor will remain the same as will all the major components because economies of scale is the only way Apple can keep making good profit on the units. If they change many major components, they must incur the costs necessary to refit the factories with the new components as well as go through exhaustive testing.

If they just bump up the processor speed a bit and add a new hard drive option or something, it will require far less of an investment in testing and QA and allow Apple to keep making high margins.

To create the illusion that a lot has changed and that this was an important update, Apple might do something like drop the white macbook, add a new higher end option, play with the processor speeds, and perhaps make 4GB of RAM standard on the highest end option.

The public perception must be that these are new models available toward the end of summer because otherwise they will not be as competitive during the lucrative back to school season (a time when many PC using students contemplate making the jump to Apple).

This is because many people may balk and buying an 11 month old computer for two reasons. First, there will be newer, better, and cheaper offerings from competitors who normally release new models around this time (for the same reasons) and second, customers will feel like its overdue for an update and as such will hold off buying for the fear it will be updated just weeks after they make their purchase.

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Nah, I suspect that would eat into MBP sales too much. Now if they put in a nicer screen, a firewire port and called it a MBP nano and charged $1800 for it, I could see them doing that. sigh. And I could see me buying it.

14. SecondDealer macrumors regular

Lol, so sad, but so true.