Macbook iSight able to be hacked?

haleyvan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
this might be a stupid question, but someone told me it is possible for someone to somehow gain access to the camera on your macbook and view what you are doing. is that possible?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
That would depend on a lot of factors..

Just a few of which would be:

Are you connected to broadband all the time?
Are you behind a firewall?
Are you behind a router?
Are you running any cam software?

Ultimately, if someone gains enough access to your Mac to turn on cam software to watch what you're doing, then they've already hacked into your Mac in a way where they can do whatever they want. If they want to just be voyeuristic, then count ourself lucky. If they want to steal your data or whatever.. worse news, IMO.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
haleyvan said:
this might be a stupid question, but someone told me it is possible for someone to somehow gain access to the camera on your macbook and view what you are doing. is that possible?
Just watch out for the green light...

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
harveypooka said:
Just watch out for the green light...

LOL I can just image someone doin' there thing at their Mac when suddenly out of nowhere the green light just turns on, and you're like ".................."

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
Stridder44 said:
LOL I can just image someone doin' there thing at their Mac when suddenly out of nowhere the green light just turns on, and you're like ".................."
Thing is, when the green light turns on you're bound to be naked, covered in peanut butter. Ummm....

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
But the app has to be installed.. and in order to install the app nefariously, one has to either hack or social engineer one's way onto the box.

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Le Big Mac said:
If they hack it, maybe they'll hack the code that turns the green light on.
It has been reported that there is no code and the LED is simply in line with the CCD of the iSight, so when the camera is powered the LED is on, so unless the NSA has developed nanobots capable of rewiring the device remotely ....

EDIT: Note I haven't checked this myself, so it could be untrue, but it would be the easiest way to design it.

B

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
balamw said:
It has been reported that there is no code and the LED is simply in line with the CCD of the iSight, so when the camera is powered the LED is on, so unless the NSA has developed nanobots capable of rewiring the device remotely ....
Shhhhhh! They'll send MacroBots to your house to rewire you! :eek:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Le Big Mac said:
If they hack it, maybe they'll hack the code that turns the green light on.
If I was a hacker, this is what I'd do:

Throw up an alert saying "Press Command-Option-Control-Shift-Tab-5 to continue". THEN, I'd turn on the iSight (because you KNOW they'll be too busy staring at the keyboard dumbfounded to notice the green light going on! :p )