Macbook iSight Black Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ipartridgea, Mar 10, 2008.

1. ipartridgea macrumors newbie

ipartridgea

hi,
    i am farely new to mac and i bought a new black macbook yesterday. when i set it up and opened photobooth, my screen was black and the isight was not responding at all. the green light was on, and i am not even sure what the green light indicates. this morning when i fired the macbook up everything was fine. is this normal?? was it just because it was new?? should i call apple?? please help!! thank you

2. Sage Harupyuia macrumors member

the iSight is full of quirks. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. (but at least, it works most of the time)

dont worry about it. If it fails, send it down for servicing. Its usually just the cable or connector acting up.

my iSight couldn't be detected by OS X for 3 months. and then suddenly, after the 3 months, it magically worked again.

3. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

I've had this. Try a PRAM reset, and taking the battery out for 10 seconds, pressing the power button then putting the battery back in.

If that doesn't work, try a safe boot. I tried all of these and one of them solved the problem :D

4. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

I would take it in for repair - mine never did that.

5. Whimsy macrumors member

Ugh, I've had this problem multiple times. :mad: What I'd say is (I've had both scenarios) - if it doesn't have a white camera icon with a slash through it - it's not BROKE broke. So, try making a new account and then see if iSight + Photo Booth works in that account. It fixed it on mine, so I just transferred everything to that account and deleted the old one with the screwy iSight.

6. jrpvt macrumors newbie

The PRAM reset worked for my friend! Thanks!

7. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

quirks? my isight has never failed me and i've used it often.

8. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

This happened to me once too. After turning on the Macbook, I was surprised the green light of the iSight was already on when I haven't opened any apps yet. I turned on iChat and saw that Black Screen. I rebooted and that problem never happened since (knock on wood). I might try that PRAM reset though. Thanks for the tip.

9. bov macrumors 6502

my iSight camera went black once, so i rebooted and it fixed it.

this only happened once so i aint complaining :D