Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phish311

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Is it at all possible, if im using an external display with my macbook, to use isight with my macbook closed. In other words, are there external displays that have an isight built in or could i even attach another webcam to the external monitor? Thanks

Phish311

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
i have a webcam from before i got my macbook. I generally have my macbook closed and use my external display, but i haven't yet figured out how to turn the computer back on from sleep mode (even though im using my external display) without having to restart it

jeff3221

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
why not use both displays in mirroring mode and use the isight? To turn on the computer, you need an external source like a mouse or keyboard when the comp. is closed.

Phish311

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
i have an external keyboard and mouse, but here is what i mean. I close my macbook and use my external mouse to turn on the external display. When i re-open my macbook, it is still in sleep mode while i use my external display. how do i get my macbook display going again?

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
... disconnect the external display.

Your choices are: extended desktop, mirrored, or closed lid mode. Sounds like you need mirrored rather than closed lid.

Then, just turn the MacBook brightness off. Solved!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.