MacBook isn't charging.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Samelson03, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Samelson03 macrumors 6502

The highest it can get is 98%. I've had my MacBook for about 2 years maybe. I just noticed it was at 85%. I clicked on the battery icon and it says " battery isn't charging. But, it says Power Source: power adapter. So, I don't know what it could be. What should I do?

2. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

this is how batteries work, their maximum capacity goes down over time. apple says that after around 300 cycles the battery will start losing capacity.

download a small app called coconutbattery, it will tell you the maximum capacity vs the original capacity and how many cycles are on it.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The battery also doesn't charge all the way to 100% every time. It will charge to 95-99% and stop. I forget why, I'll find the article.

4. Samelson03 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, thanks for that app. Very cool. But, while I was running the app it said my battery wasn't charging. Why?

5. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

Like they said, the batteries (battery's?) capacity has gone down over time and it cannot charge to its full 100% capacity.

6. Samelson03 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, I should have mentioned, it's plugged in right now but the battery level isn't increasing. The little light is green but it should be orange.

7. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

yes the battery is charged to its maximum capacity. because of its age and use it can no longer hold a full charge. you could try calibrating it but you probably aren't ever going to get higher than 98% again unless you buy a new battery