MacBook isn't turning on..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jskeez, Jul 19, 2009.

1. jskeez macrumors newbie

I just bought a used MacBook a couple days ago off of Craigslist. The guy told me about the computer and we both went through it and he told me all the info about it he could. I'm pretty sure it's 2006. Up until today, I used it for about an hour, and shut it down. I came back a few hours later, tried to power it on and nothing. The computer won't turn on, no sound, nothing. I unplugged the charger and took the battery out for an hour, put it back in and still nothing. I even tried to reset it but it still doesn't work. The battery lights all light up and the adapter charger stays green. I already tried to contact him but there's no answer. Could anyone help me out please? Thank you.

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Faulty hard drive? Scammer? That's all I can think of.

3. jskeez thread starter macrumors newbie

i honestly have no idea. i mean it worked great for the last couple days and now it's just not turning on at all.. what should i do?

4. miiles macrumors regular

When its plugged into the charger do the lights on the battery light up?

5. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Do you have any other 2.5" HDD? If you do, you could replace them and then stick your OS X install DVD in the slot. That is, if he gave you the install DVD.

6. jskeez thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah when its plugged in all the lights come on..

and no i dont.

7. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Don't what? Have the DVD or a HDD?

8. miiles macrumors regular

But absolutely nothing happens when you try to power it on? I don't know what to think...sorry.

9. jskeez thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing happens. The lights are green, but no response. I don't have a spare HDD.

10. miiles macrumors regular

11. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Hm... if you wanted it fixed, you could take it into the Apple store, but you're probably out of warranty, so you'll have to pay money. Sorry, bud, but that's the best thing I can think of.

12. jskeez thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you though. They'll let me turn it in though so they can work on it? I know for sure it's definitely not under warranty and has no apple care..

13. jskeez thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried that too, and it doesn't work. I'll try it again though. Should I just leave the battery and adapter out over night and see how it is the next day?

14. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Yeah. You'll have to pay money though. But they'll be happy to help you.

http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

This is also the safest way, in case you don't know how to do the stuff stated in the Apple support article.

15. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

He could've spilled something on it.

There are people who have called me about my spill damage repair service, cancelled their meeting with me without telling me beforehand because their machine turned back on. I tell them the minerals and residue on the board can move around and eventually cause real damage. Three to four motnhs later, without doubt, every time, I have received a call from the same person, and their machine is dead.

By that time, I won't help them, because they've made my job that much more painful.

What this did teach me, is 100% of the machines that have drinks spilled on them will eventually not turn on. If they do come back to life, it is for a limited period of time before they eventually die.

So either

a) He spilled something on it, and decided to sell it before it completely died.

b) You are a terribly unlucky person.

16. jskeez thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean he did tell me straight up that the logic board had water damage so he replaced it with a brand new one. I just don't get how I've only used it for about 3 days and it just doesn't turn on. The battery is fully charged and all 5 lights on the battery turn on. I have an appointment for the Genius Bar today.. I guess I'll find out what's wrong with it.

17. ahjjones Guest

In the future if someone tells you a machine has water damage stay far away! They're so many problems that could happen down the line that may not be apparent. I think you may be out of luck. Try taking it to Apple and see what they say. I have a bad feeling that the repair might be more than what you paid for the laptop.

18. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Try an external monitor-maybe its just the screen. In any case, take it
    to an Apple store and let them diagnose it.

19. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

what happened here is that some guy told you that he replaced a defective logic board in his computer. what he didn't tell you, is that the water probably spread to other parts of the computer, potentially causing a number of things. take it to an apple store for a diagnosis. it won't be cheap, but it's a viable solution

20. jskeez thread starter macrumors newbie

oh and if i bring my mac to genius will they check if there's anything wrong inside? like loose connections or anything?

21. son2 macrumors newbie

hi,

1. if you want to know what type of your macbook is, you can go to:
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do
    you can get the exact info and make sure that your macbook is 2006 type.

2. have you tried to reset the system management controller (reset SMC)? my macbook also had same problem with yours, but after i reset the SMC, everything went well.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

22. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

fluid damage

I strongly suggest leaving the repairs to the experts. However, many advanced users with some skill and luck have successfully dealt with fluid damage. The process involves careful disassembly in a static free area, examining the components for any fluid or residue, carefully cleaning the components with alcohol or antistatic circuit board cleaner, leaving them to dry for over 24 hours, then reassembling the computer and testing. There is a significant chance of permanently causing further damage in the process. I would only advise this method as a last resort if you cannot get expert help. Also it is possible that the fluid caused permanent damage to various components that cannot be easily tested or repaired.