macbook issue, weird one

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tsiguy561, Aug 9, 2011.

1. tsiguy561 macrumors newbie

hello everyone.
    i just bought a mac from a guy who said it beeped when he started it, and he had a picture of it started with a grey screen. obviously i assumed a ram stick or ram slot is bad, so i get it in the mail and i find out that both ram slots are bad, it beeps 3 times with a black screen, no matter how many different sticks or combinations of RAM i use, both slots are bad.

so i take the computer apart, its missing screws and has a different keyboard model than the computer is so its obviously been messed with previously. i take the logic board out to see if its shorted anywhere, nothing, looks clean. i put the computer back together, plug the AC adapter in, and now its starting automatically as soon as you plug the AC adapter in (3 beeps still, of course). anyone know what would cuase a computer to start automatically when AC adapter is plugged in after taking it apart to verify everything? thanks all.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

That's pretty common for a crashed SMC, but this wouldn't cause the three beeps. I hope you didn't put much money into this machine, as it sounds like it has a bad logic board.