Macbook Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by russman, Jan 4, 2009.

1. russman macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, my macbook i purchased in June has begun to have some serious issues after upgrading to 10.5.6. The first thing i noticed was time machine and spotlight froze up daily, and since then there have been more odd issues like dropped samba connections which require a restart to reconnect. And the most disturbing thing is that my firewire port no longer has power to it. This strange thing has happened twice now as well, where when i lift the display when the mac is in sleep mode, it appears to be off, but when i push the power button the light flashes, then the screen flashes blue and white, and then my desktop appears but ghosted out with a progress bar at the bottom of the screen. When the progress bar completes i'm back to my desktop but left wondering what happened? I have never had any problems with this before so i am concerned it may be a fried logic board or something? Thanks

2. russman thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh jeez, now everytime i turn it on from sleep the light flashes five times. And i forgot to mention it hangs on shut down at the spinning wheel and i have to ctrl-cmd-power to restart it. Am i screwed? :mad:

3. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

If you can take it back to the place you bought it from or if you are lucky enough to live near an Apple store i would say take it in to be fixed, that sounds like its having a few problems.......

4. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

This could be more than just a software problem…

I would take it in to the nearest Apple store :)

5. russman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah unfortunately i don't live near an apple store... Its under warranty at the store i bought it thought so I'll try taking it back there when i get a chance. I have a bad feeling it needs a new logic board though.

6. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

It sounds like more then software, maybe logic board, for the heck of it did you use time machine and go back to a date before you upgraded software?

7. russman thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish i could but the first time machine backup after upgrading blew out my firewire port and corrupted my backups. :eek:

8. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

Well that blows, take it in see what they say. let us know how to turns out.

9. russman thread starter macrumors newbie

I think the fact that the battery has suddenly stopped working is enough reason for me to take it in... It may have to wait until the weekend though due to work but i'll post back when i get some answers.

10. russman thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE: I took it back to the store today, they said since it is less than a year old it is covered by apple and they will not service it... So i called apple support and they told me they don't do mail in repairs in Canada. I went back to the store and they told me to ship it to an apple service provider in Winnepeg, so we'll see what happens i guess.

11. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

where did you buy it, cuz im from winnipeg and i bought service from bestbuy and when i need to get a repair i know i just have to take it to machelper on st marys and they do whatever they need to

12. russman thread starter macrumors newbie

I live in Thunder Bay and bought it at Future Shop, but they aren't able to service it while the 1 year apple warranty is in affect.

13. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

oh..you didnt buy the extended warranty from futureshop?

14. russman thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought the extended, but they won't touch it while the apple warranty is in effect ( 1 year ).