Macbook/iTunes Shortcuts

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by zakfox1986, Jan 5, 2009.

1. zakfox1986 macrumors member

Okay, hopefully I posted this in the right section of MR Forums and hopefully I'm not asking a question that's been asked a billion times before (I did do a search before posting).

Anyway, is it possible for me to pause/play songs playing in iTunes using a keyboard shortcut without iTunes open or in focus?

For instance, if I'm browsing the internet with music playing via iTunes and want to pause or play a song through the keyboard without having to open up iTunes. Is that possible?

(Note: I'm using a white Macbook.)

EDIT: 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 3GB RAM, running Leopard.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Your whiteness... doesn't tell us much. On most of the MacBooks there are media controls on the function keys. Some don't have them.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

There are some free apps that put a remote control in your Menu Bar. I like You Control Tunes. I think it works pretty well. Click the link and give it a try. -GDF

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

you sure?? i thought all macbooks had media controls on the function keys...

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Well they have volume up down mute but how about song selection and I don't mean just next and previous but search. I think that's what the OP was looking for.

6. zakfox1986 thread starter macrumors member

Okie doke. I added the details about my Macbook to my main post. Sorry about that confusing. I just assumed that separating it from the new MB was enough details.

You Control Tunes looks like a decent alternative. Thanks!

I'd still like just a simple way to do cmd+whatever key that would do a simple play/pause feature and maybe even another that would do the same thing for next song.

7. MacbookAlum1536 macrumors regular

MacbookAlum1536

if you just hit the function then f8 that works

8. zakfox1986 thread starter macrumors member

That's not doing anything for me. It's cool. You Control Tunes works fine. Thanks anyway!