MacBook just arrived!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pinoyplaya, Mar 24, 2009.

1. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

I am using it right now :) Haha. It came precharged with 2 green dots of battery life.

I started it up... I dont know if it will get damaged because its cold outside and the computer was kinda cold when I booted it. Hopefully it wont damage my new MacBook :)

What do I need to do like setup and stuff? I did the setup when it first booted. Do I need to download anything like updates and etc? Will my Mac do that automatically? I am a new Mac User btw :) this is my very first mac ;)

2. RobotBanana macrumors newbie

RobotBanana

You should probably go ahead and run some updates. Just click the Apple button in the corner of the menu bar, and go to Mac OS X Software. The rest should be obvious. :)

Congrats on the new purchase! :)

3. Genocyde macrumors member

Congrats, I'm a recent switcher too. I can't give you much technical advice in fear of telling you the wrong thing. I just ran the system update from the Apple menu on the top left, and everything went well.

I've abandoned by quad core PC ever since I brought the Aluminum MacBook home. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I do mine!

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Congrats! Click the apple in the upper left of the screen and goto Software Update... and it scans your system and gives you updates to do. Hook up an external drive and get Time Machine going. Learn how to use your Mac by going to This Tutorial -GDF

5. pinoyplaya thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I will be taking the time to update everything and then Install iLife 09 that came with it after everything is updated.

OMG, I love the keyboard of this thing. I am already getting used to it.

One quick question, how do I go about having an application automatically startup when the system boots up? I would like to have Skype Application to start on bootup.

Another question is... how often should I turn off my MacBook? My bestfriend has a BlackBook and he never turns his off, its always asleep.

6. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Seems like there is a software update about every month and it usually requires a restart. That's when I do mine. Congrats, you're having fun now. :)

7. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

Hey,
    I have been using Mac for a good year now. And I will never go back. I actually got a new MacBook on Monday. Fantastic purchase. MobileMe with me iMac and iPhone opens up a whole new side to Mac I have never used. Well worth the 60 day trial.

I have a question while on the subject, is it safe to leave a MacBook on sleep while it is in a case? Does it generate heat? Just wondering for when I take it to university on the train. I have always been shutting it down but sleep is so much more practical.

8. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

9. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah mine was freezing! i got it in 20 degree weather and it was absolutely cold as crap!

10. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. Which is a ton.

11. nyry30 macrumors newbie

congrats on the purchase dude, I have to say the two most favorite features I like about it is the illuminated keyboard and the trackpad (the gestures feature is just awesome). Enjoy it.

cheers:apple:

12. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Yes it's safe in the case. No heat is generated while it's in sleep mode.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

14. chuckcalo macrumors regular

First make sure is on the Dock (you know, that bar at the bottom with a bunch of icons?), right click on it (lol) and click "Open At Login".

15. pinoyplaya thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I figured it out hehe :) I didnt know I had to drag the Application to Applications in order for it to be installed on the Mac :) I didnt do that and Skype wouldnt startup.

I kept wondering why there was a Skype Disk Like image on the Desktop then I tried dragging Skype over to the Applications and woot woot :)

16. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Take this opportunity to properly calibrate/condition the new battery.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

17. chuckcalo macrumors regular

Party pooper! I was about to say that >_>

18. pinoyplaya thread starter macrumors regular

Oh no. I havent calibrated it! Is that gonna screw me over? LOL. Should I do it now? Or does it have to be fully charged first then fully drained without plugging it back in.

Edit:

5. Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.

Does that mean I have to wait for 5 hours after its battery drained before I can recharge it? Or I can just turn it off then recharge it to full without turning it on.

19. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Drain the battery all the way and it will put itself to sleep, after which you leave it for about 5 hours, and THEN plug it in until the light turns green. After that, you're good to go. You should repeat this once every 4-6 weeks.

Welcome to the club! :cool:

20. pinoyplaya thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I am doing that right now. Though I dont want to wait for 5 hours just to put it to sleep. :( It says....

5. Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.

Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.