Macbook just beeps

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sweetie87, May 31, 2011.

1. sweetie87 macrumors newbie

Hi - seriously long time lurker here, I've never needed to post before because there is always a previous post where someone has been nice enough to answer whatever questions I had.

The problem is, all my macbook (early 2008, black - I upgraded the ram to 4gb when i got it) will now do is beep furiously at me.

Having read around a little bit it seems like it might be to do with the ram, but I'm open to all suggestions.

This happened suddenly, we closed the lid to put the computer to sleep mode a few days ago, then when we went to use it again it won't boot up. You can hear it sort of trying to, but the screen remains blank and there are no start up chimes. It beeps loudly and continuously roughly every 5 seconds or so, the light on the front lights up when it beeps. This doesn't stop.

Having read it might be to do with the ram, I tried reseating the ram, then switching it over. I also still had the original ram that came with the computer so tried that - no change.

I then tried leaving one ram slot free, here's the slightly odd thing. When the ram is in the centre-most slot only, i get a pattern of beeps in threes then a pause then three beeps etc etc. When there is ram in the outer slot it will always beep continuously with 5 second pauses.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? I'm reluctant to take it to the genuis bar because the applecare ran out a few months ago and I can't face the bill!

Thanks in advance :eek:

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

The morse code SOS beep is generally a firmware error, like a failed firmware upgrade, and the single beep means POST failed, generally due to either bad RAM or a bad RAM socket. If moving RAM modules around fails, such that you have only one known good module installed, and you tried it in either slot, then you pretty likely have a failed logic board.

3. sweetie87 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is pretty much what I had feared. Thank you for the reply though!