MacBook just went crazy! Virus? Hack? What happened?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FiddlersGreen, Jul 27, 2011.

1. FiddlersGreen macrumors newbie

Ok a few minutes ago, I turned on my mac book and my mouse curser was jumping around everywhere. I thought well maybe I need to let it load a bit to get caught up since I had just turned it on.

Anyway, I let it go... but all by itself it was going around clicking stuff and opening page in a sporadic kind of manner and opening the right click menu a lot. Like I let it go and it clicked on about this mac. Then it clicked on safari and went straight to my gmail. Then it clicked on an old junk message and right clicked. It was just jumping around doing stuff like that. So I tried to log off the account but had to really fight with it as the arrow kept trying to do it's own thing. But anyway, I hit sleep mode instead which you need my password to get back in. I waited to see what it would do and it seemed like it still wanted to jump around the screen. Anyway I wasn't about to put my password in so I pushed the button on the laptop to turn the computer and turned it back on.

It's not doing anything now and I'm able to have control of the mouse curser and visit sites I want to.

Anyway, what happened? What should I do? I have a macbook pro, it's about 3 years old.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Assuming you have a wireless mouse, check the batteries to make sure they're not almost dead. It could also be interference with your wireless mouse signal. It's highly unlikely that you've been hacked, though not impossible. One thing is certain: it's not a virus. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:

3. FiddlersGreen thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I am relieved to hear that. I never had a problem like this before and it going to into my email and stuff scared the crap out of me.

I was going to say I don't have an actual mouse, it's just the finger pad. But then I realized I had my wacom tablet plugged in and figured maybe that's what was doing it.

Ok now I feel stupid.... but I feel a lot better knowing nothing serious had happened.

4. Wheaty macrumors regular

Wheaty

Ahh the well documented "Ghost of Wacom".

Dont feel too bad, I've had the same 5 minute panic as I hadn't noticed that the cat had knocked the pen over onto the tablet one day.. Once logical reasoning had resumed, all was well :)

Wheaty

5. Tennyo macrumors member

Tennyo

This reminds me of a couple years ago where I was on my laptop in my living room, but didn't know where my mouse was so I was just using the pad. Then my arrow started to jump around randomly clicking as well. I panicked, but when I looked up I saw my roommate looking at me with an evil grin, playing with something on the coffee table.

It was my mouse. ¬_¬