MacBook keeps breaking--time to move up?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pianogrl829, Aug 15, 2008.

1. pianogrl829 macrumors newbie

So, I've had a lovely white MacBook for a little over a year. In the past three months however, after I updated to leopard, the hard drive crashed. Had to replace that. Then the battery died. Replaced that. Now the ethernet port isn't connecting unless you literally spend ten minutes shoving the cord in at the right angle. I'm not abusive, but I do use my Macbook a lot, and I'm off to school in the fall where I'll be needing a computer daily. Should I fork up the cash and replace the ethernet port, or should I give up and get a MacBook pro?
    Any opinions are welcome.

I'd be majoring in Engineering....good graphics is a must.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

someone should have ordered applecare:p

-all harddrives are going to fail, you can't prevent that... but everything else seems like a manufactures defect...

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I would say congratulations on your purchase, but in this case, I don't think so. ;) but anyway, unless you use the ethernet port for internet, etc then dont replace it. I'd ask the apple store reps to take a look and have them replace it, as it is under warranty from defects in the 1st year of purchase.

Secondly, what major are you studying for? If it's something that doesn't require a good graphics chip, don't go for the MBP. say if I studied for a CS major, that would require a MBP. But if I study medicine, I don't think so.. it all depends on how much money you want to spend vs. the need of your major. wait, im assuming your off to college, if not, the macbook is plenty enough, as I'm a sophomore in high school and I live happily with the macbook! :)

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

he can always try, but it may cost money...

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'll just add that I don't think anyone has ever accused the MBP of being more durable than the Macbook. It isn't. In fact, quite the contrary, the MBP and PB consistently get harmed worse by minor physical insults like being bumped or dropped on a corner from a very short distance, because of their aluminum enclosures.

They're great computers, and they have great specifications, but I think if you're going from an MB to an MBP purely on the theory that it will reduce your rate of defects, as opposed to buying the MBP for the aesthetics, the horsepower, or other specific features, there is just no data to support the move.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

some macbook pros still have the nvidia fiasco.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

only thing keeping me away from the Mbps are the nvidia ordeal.

8. shizzlegtx macrumors member

Difference is say; 1 year or 15 years. I have an old dell from 96 that still works. Nothing's been replaced either.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's a Bell curve -- some drives fail early, some hang in for a long time, most fail in the 3 - 5 year range.

10. shizzlegtx macrumors member

To me, that's so unacceptable. For any computer. Bleh, disgusted at world.

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

but all drives will fail at some point.

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well it's unacceptable to me that I'm going bald after only 47 years. Who do I complain to?