Macbook keeps crashing

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by graffic, Sep 24, 2008.

1. graffic macrumors newbie

I've had my macbook since April however ive only been using it since september. We've been wirelessy online at home for about two weeks now. In the last week Ive had to turn off the macbook about 6 times because of it crashing.

There were a few programs up but this is a 2.4ghz so that shouldnt be a problem. The only thing i can say is that before installing transmission and messenger it never crashed..

Any thoughts on why this is happening? Help is much appreciated, thanks

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I think you have answered your own question messenger/transmission will probably be causing the problem - most Mac users are using Adium instead of Messenger.

3. graffic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply

Why should the apple version of messenger cause problems? And does adium mean everyone else has to have adium like skype?

4. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

No. You can sign into almost any IM account through Adium. For example I have an MSN account and AIM account I sign into through Adium. Most of my contacts either use Windows Messenger for AIM for Windows as far as I know.

5. graffic thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers buddy nice1, will download it. Hopefully the crashing will stop.

6. mosx macrumors 65816

You mean the Mac OS X version of MSN Messenger, right?

It has nothing to do with the crashing. OS X just crashes. Its how it is. My MacBook crashes on a regular basis. Once every two weeks, like clockwork. It never crashes with Windows though. Only in OS X.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Sounds like it's time to take a look at your logs.

8. mosx macrumors 65816

While I can't speak for the OP, I can speak for myself.

When I check my system logs theres nothing in the log that even hints at the crash. It's like nothings wrong. All you see is the activity from the previous startup, then activity for the next startup. Nothing else. It doesn't happen with Windows. Oh and when OS X does lock, you can hear the fans run higher and higher and higher. So its definitely something in OS X locking up the entire OS and ramping CPU use up.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Sounds like an infinite loop of some sort.

I've had my own hard crashes in OS X without any note in the log as well.