MacBook keeps freezing, please help.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rinnconnley, Nov 6, 2011.

1. rinnconnley macrumors newbie

Bought my macbook (reg white 13 inch, not a pro) from a reputable dealer online about 3 months ago. I had them add ram to it, I have 8 gigs now (Not sure how much more that is than on a regular macbook).
    About 3 days after I got it, I was watching netflix and it completely froze, not the rainbow wheel of doom, just totally froze. I shut if off by just holding down the power button, and when I went to turn it back on, I got the black screen. Not lit up with like a black LED color, just no power to the screen at all, but the little white light on the side was on.
    The next morning it turned on just fine, I figured it may have just overheated. I now have two different things I use to prevent overheating (a fan and a heat absorbing pad) that I use. It has been fine since that first week I had it until about a week ago. Now it KEEP freezing, even if I'm just on openoffice or itunes. I have apple care so I can take it down and get it checked, but I was wondering if anyone else had had this problem and could help me out?
    thanks.

ALSO:
    I have a friend who works at an Apple store and he told me about the SMC reset, I do it EVERY time it freezes and I shut it off, and the freezing keeps happening.

2. spacedrabbit macrumors member

There is potentially many reasons any computer would freeze in the manner you describe.

If nothing appears on the display, but you get the little white LED (sleep indicator light) and no initial chime, it could be failing POST which is a very basic system check on the cpu, ram and logic board. Generally though, if it is a failed logic board or RAM, the macbook will beep at you or that LED light will blink.

SMC deals with power management for a macbook and probably wouldn't resolve your issue.

Again, could be a couple of things, best to take it in though.

3. Elbert C macrumors 6502

I don't know if this is the same problem as yours, but my MBP occasionally freezes for no reason. Connecting a usb mouse and/or keyboard to restart the Mac from the Apple menu or keyboard shortcut fixes it until it happens the next time.

4. session101 macrumors regular

you should have told us more about your mac, what year is it and processor speed

have you done any upgrades other than RAM? have you checked the RAM and its condition

5. rinnconnley thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont know what those things mean haha but it wasnt chiming when it was giving me the black screen. It doesnt do that anymore though, just the freezing CONSTANTLY.

----------

Honestly dont know any of that. I havent done any other upgrades, i dont think. No idea how to check the RAM. and No idea on year or processor speed ha. I'm basically clueless as far as computers go :/

----------

I think its the actual computer freezing, because when I'm in Word and it freezes, what I type stops showing up. So I dont think that would help?

6. Elbert C macrumors 6502

Give it a try. It may or may not work for you. When my MBP freezes the cursor quits moving and my keyboard keys don't work anymore. I think that fits the description of "the actual computer freezing", no? :D