Macbook keeps freezing up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SoundFox, Dec 20, 2010.

1. SoundFox macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Im new to these forums and was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem im having.

My Macbook has started to freeze up constantly after startup, applications are non-responsive. I can still move the mouse around the screen when this happens but the pointer soon turns into the beach-ball icon and after 5 minutes things go back to normal but only for a minute or two before everything starts freezing up again. There is a clicking noise coming from inside the mac whenever this happens.

I have run a virus check which reported no infections and i have uninstalled all programs installed since the problem occurred but to no avail.

My Macbook is fairly old (around 3-4 years) but there where no previous indications that it was nearing the end of its life. Could this be a RAM related problem or possible a Hard Drive related issue? Is it just time to put my laptop to rest?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Clicking noises usually indicate a failing hard drive. In Disk Utility, what does S.M.A.R.T status say?

3. SoundFox thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much man, you may have just saved me a ton of lost data.

4. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Back up what you can ASAP. Hopefully you have an external HD.

5. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Why doesn't Mac OS notify you of this instead of making users manually check? :confused:

6. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles