Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jnguyen4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Hey guys, I have a 3 year old Macbook that has been running perfectly until today. Today while browsing, the screen just turned black so I held down the power button to restart it. When it booted up again, it only lasted probably a minute or 2 and then it restarted by itself. Now when I boot my computer up, it does not even go to the login screen. I can hear the drives spinning and there is battery left. I have not experimented with putting in the Leopard boot disk yet.

By the way, I installed a new harddrive and some ram that was not from apple. I dunno if this makes a difference but I just thought I'd add that. I have done many searches and have not found anything similiar to this nature. Thank you in advanced.

jnguyen4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Try this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455?viewlocale=en_US

If it does not work, try to put in the old RAM and hard drive and then see if it works. If nothing else works, seems like a logic board failure.

I just tried to take out a dvd disk. That seemed like it worked because it let me go to the log in screen and I was able to log in. A couple minutes after, the screen turned black and it seemed to restart itself. The link for safe mode did not work...

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I just tried to take out a dvd disk. That seemed like it worked because it let me go to the log in screen and I was able to log in. A couple minutes after, the screen turned black and it seemed to restart itself. The link for safe mode did not work...

Sounds like a failing logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.