MacBook Keeps Unexpectedly Turning Off

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NoahDev, Jul 2, 2011.

1. NoahDev macrumors newbie

NoahDev

Hey, my 13" MacBook (Late 2009) keeps turning off whenever the batter's percentage gets around 20%. One time it did this and I was just watching a video on YouTube and nothing else, nothing plugged in to the computer! When it turns off, it doesn't go in to sleep mode or anything, it instantly just turns off. When I turn it back on, the power indicator flashes and the hard drive clicks, and then it turns off again. If I try to turn it back on again, it does a normal boot with the Apple logo and stuff, and everything I had open before it shutdown was closed and the apps had quit.

It has been doing this for about half a year.
    It has also been getting very hot over nothing. Its even doing that as I type this!
    Could someone please tell me what is going on?!?!? PLEASE.

Specs:
    Processor - 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory - 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Hard Drive Size - 160.04 GB
    If you need more just ask.

Thanks in Advance! :apple:

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

You have a bad battery.

The machine getting hot is a completely different issue.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Reset the SMC. Also, calibrate your battery to make sure the readings are accurate.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

4. NoahDev thread starter macrumors newbie

NoahDev

Thanks for telling me about the battery, however...
    I did as you said and as of now the computer is untouchably hot and Activity Monitor is not showing anything big. The things using the most of the CPU is the stuff in the "root" section, and is only taking up 5% - 15% of the CPU.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Install iStat Pro to track your temps and battery, among other things. It's normal for your computer to be hot to the touch, more so if there's a heavy workload on the CPU/GPU.

6. NoahDev thread starter macrumors newbie

NoahDev

Thats the thing though, all I was doing was typing something, nothing else was open. Is THAT normal?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Install iStat Pro, as I recommended. That way, you're not guessing as to the temps, but have accurate info.

8. NoahDev thread starter macrumors newbie

NoahDev

Thanks

I just did. Thanks! It's been helping a lot.