Macbook keeps waking up! :(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by peanutismint, May 31, 2007.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I'm using my Mac on an external monitor with a USB keyboard/mouse and the lid closed. When I put it to sleep using the remote, it switches off but then re-awakens about 5 seconds later. It's really annoying as it's usually when I'm in bed after watching a video and am too tired to get up and switch it off manually.

Any suggestions about how to make it sleep? Could it be the USB peripherals making it act this way? If so, how can I stop my Mac from waking on USB?

2. juanm macrumors 65816

Mine does it too.

The problem is if it does it when in its neoprene sleeve. Can you imagine the result. I haven't called Apple yet about this because I desperately need the computer on a daily basis.

Mine is a White 2Ghz Core Duo. I upgraded the RAM a week after I got it, and some months later, the stock 60Gb hard drive to a 120Gb. It started doing this with the original hard drive, though.

I'll send you a PM to keep in touch.

3. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Thanks man. Yeah it's funny you should say that; I got back from work late last night, took my macbook out of its sleeve - whoah. Not sure how long it had been on for, but it sure was hot! Now I've taken to powering down just to be sure, but I shouldn't have to!

I thought I'd narrowed the problem down to waking up by USB, then I realised it did it regardless of that. Then I thought it must be from using an external display. When I disconnected that, it did sleep, but then something random would wake it up. It's getting worrying now! Might repost this in a hardware forum as I now believe it might be hardware-related. Will try to remember to keep you updated!

4. ryefong macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm having the exact same problem! The only way I can get around it is to completely shut my macbook pro down.

Did any of you recently install the security updates? I've never had this problem before and the only thing that I can remember doing that could have created this problem was installing a security update a couple of days ago.

This problem is really starting to piss me off!!! :mad:

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Go to Settings in Bluetooth Preferences, and un-check the 3rd box down. That might solve the issue :)

6. ryefong macrumors newbie

Thanks Scarlet! But still no dice for me :(

7. heatasmallhouse macrumors regular

hey guys, same here. My new SR MBP is waking up right after I put it to sleep. Ever so frustrating watching the apple illuminate itself closed while you're in a hurry. I'm trying an archive and install of OS X and then applecare! So any other suggestions to help us out would be appreciated.

bluetooth is off the whole time.

8. heatasmallhouse macrumors regular

I reinstalled OS X via the Upgrade option and my lappy has been sleeping sound ever since.

It still takes about 9 seconds to start breathing once I close. Nerve racking while you're in a hurry.

9. jca488 macrumors newbie

sameeee

hey, this post needs to be revived. it still happens to me!

10. wyattbiker macrumors member

Check your settings for either bluetooth or wifi waking up due to mouse motion. Never had it happen to me on Mac but it used to happen to me in Windows.

11. jca488 macrumors newbie

Re

Well, yeah but if i am not clicking the mouse idk why it would happen?

anyhow my last episode happened on a trip. I put my laptop in its case and then in the safe.
    I went to use it and it was on inside the case. It was reallly hot and it got me worried.
    At school it happens sometimes but doesnt worry me too much other than the fact that if i dont leave it plugged in the battery will be down to 60% within one or two days. (even though its supposed to be sleeping)