Macbook keeps waking up! :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peanutismint, Jun 3, 2007.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Like an annoying toddler on a lazy Saturday morning...my Macbook keeps waking up.

Not really sure what's causing it. I'm running it on an external display with a USB-audio KVM switch. I'll be ready to doze off after another thrilling episode of MythBusters, and I'll hold the 'Play/Pause' button of my Apple remote to sleep the system from my bed. Except it doesn't sleep. It power naps. It goes into standby for two seconds, then re-awakens.

I've tried unplugging anything that might be waking it up. At first I thought, it's gotta be the USB peripherals, like keyboard and mouse. Didn't change anything. Then I thought, well the video port seems to be 'intelligent', knowing when I've plugged stuff in etc, maybe it's that. Well at first, it was. But then just as I turned my PC off (of all things, completely unconnected apart from networked folders), my Macbook screams to life again!

Now I know there's apps like InsomniaX which help keep your Mac from going into standby, but there has to be some way of doing the opposite, forcing it into a deep sleep (not to be confused with the Deep Sleep mode).

So I ask you - can't a guy get any sleep around here?!

2. chipchen macrumors 6502

Did you unplug the KVM? Cause there's a good possibility that's it... probably keeps sending a signal to let the computer think it's still plugged in and doesn't freak out.

Other than that.. try an Archive and Install.

3. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Hmm I was afraid you might say that... see the whole point of me buying the KVM was so I wouldn't have to be constantly plugging/unplugging things. Plus, I wanted to be able to turn off my MB from the warmth of my duvet and roll over to sleep, rather than have to go all the way across the room (must be at LEAST a step and a half :)) to turn if off manually or unplug something.

Any other suggestions?

4. chipchen macrumors 6502

5. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Haha, it couldn't be much closer and I couldn't be much lazier! There must be some way to dictate what will and won't wake your Mac? I know on PCs you can set them to wake on LAN or USB or any other number of things....

6. lawclerk macrumors member

Does your bluetooth say "bluetooth unavailable?"

7. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

8. chipchen macrumors 6502

maybe you should get a crappier quality KVM?

Or leave your MacBook without battery and use a CLAP-ON.

9. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

10. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Haha I love the clap-on idea, unfortunately I live in the UK where such lazy-assed products were never marketed. Damn you, more active nation! Incidentally, we never got Chia-Pets either...

The drugging idea sounds good too, as I have a mate who can get me some rohypnol. Now all I need is to take the MB out for a drink and then slip it in when it goes to screensaver mode. Shouldn't be too difficult; I've seen these people out in Starbuck's with their laptops and I always just figured they were losers, but they were obviously trying to spike their Macbook's caramel machiatto...

Any other bright ideas?

11. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

Slightly off topic but those are the best coffees at Starbucks. Not worth £4 though.

12. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Yeah, my best mate worked in SBuck's for about 3 years, so as you can imagine I had a lot of free and discounted products. The CarMach was too sickly for me tho, unless I asked for it with more coffee. I'm a venti chocolate, 6 X shots mocha, extra blend, extra wet, blended creme frappuchino guy myself (yes, I'm one of THOSE idiots :))

Right! So nobody knows how to keep a macbook asleep?!

13. PWA macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact sampe problem, didn't find any help either. :(
    Is there really nobody who knows how to solve this problem???

14. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I've kinda fixed it now, but then I don't use my Macbook closed anymore...think it was something really dumb in the end, like that I was using a usb or bluetooth mouse and I had to go into the mouse or bluetooth preferences and deselect some option like 'allow bluetooth device to wake computer from sleep' or something.....

15. PWA macrumors newbie

I also thought it was something like that, but even when I unplugged all my external devices the problem still occurs.