Macbook kernel panic?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iorange, Dec 23, 2009.

1. iorange macrumors newbie

Hey so about three hours ago I was surfing the web on my macbook I had a game of pool going on a website i've never been on, and I was on a few other weather websites nothing downloading, or any updates. Everything froze so I held down the power button, and turned it back on, but after the logo appears for awhile it goes to a screen that says "you need to restart your computer" which I now know is a kernel panic.

I have tried restarting in safe mode, but it just stays on the logo screen for awhile before restarting again by itself and then going to the "you need to restart" screen again

I've tried NVPRAM thing or whatever its called, and nothing.

I have put in the start up disc, and tried to repair stuff, but it either says it doesn't need repairing, or it has an error during the repairing process during the exit something.

I tried to install archive, and it checks the installation disc fine, but during the installation it says it has an error, and I should restart, and try again.

Lastly I preformed two hardware tests, and it couldn't find any problems.

any suggestions? I'm using a PC right now, and i'd rather not be. Especially since I spent so much money on the Macbook

2. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Your symptoms sound very much like bad RAM. Specifically:
    • a generic error message during OS X installation and
    • intermittently different messages when checking your disk in Disk Utility
    both highly suggest bad RAM.

Have you upgraded the memory in your computer?

If you have upgraded the RAM, try placing the original RAM back in. Please be careful to touch a part of the computer's internal metal frame while handling the RAM. Static electricity kills circuit boards!

If you've never upgraded or replaced your RAM, take your computer to the Genius Bar at an Apple Store. If your computer is under warranty, they will run diagnostics and most likely replace your RAM.

Do you have a backup of your data? The Apple Store may wish to erase your hard drive.

3. milton.sheaf macrumors regular

Only a fool would not backup their data. It's so stupid simple to do on OSX, (unlike Windows or Linux) that really there's no excuse not to.