MacBook keyboard and trackpad stopped working

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Cristian .b, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Cristian .b, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

Cristian .b macrumors member

Suddenly the keyboard and trackpad on my MacBook stopped responding. I restarted it. and on the login screen it said i didn´t have any keyboard and trackpad connected. What can it be? The keyboard ribbon cable disconnected or shorted?

2. WildCard^ macrumors regular

Do you feel comfortable with opening it up and pulling out the KB cable and reseating it? Easy guides are on iFixit, you just need small screwdrivers and I think a plastic spudger to help the tension points.

3. Cristian .b, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

Cristian .b thread starter macrumors member

I thought that would be the issue, so i have seen on the guides already. Just that i don´t think id will be worth it, as it´s from 2007 and won´t run Mavericks. But i will try.

4. WildCard^ macrumors regular

Did anything physical happen to the laptop? Was it dropped or spilled on? The KB connector in the Macbook is really a solid connection that I can't imagine would pop out easily.

If it is a 2007, yes, replacing the KB will be difficult. The 2007s are considered vintage and parts for it aren't stocked by Apple anymore once they go vintage...

And yes, there is the inability to run Mavericks. 10.6 is great on a 2007.

5. Cristian .b thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, i did some painting viewing references on the MacBook the same day it happened. Will paint short the components? It took a while after for it to stop responding. But theres one thing that happened; It started turning itself on. Have i shorted the circuit?

6. Cristian .b thread starter macrumors member

Bad news

Now my MacBook has died :(. It doesn´t show any signs of life. Now nothing is working :(, now i must take out the hard drive and check what´s wrong with it. New MacBook for me when i have enough money.

7. WildCard^ macrumors regular

Wait, you poured paint on the keyboard? You made it sound like you had no idea what happened to the keyboard to make it stop working. Seems like an unusual thing to leave out of your original post.

Had you told us yesterday about the paint, could have suggested you rinse the keyboard off to see if it is savable. Now with it spread out and dried, I don't know.

Goto iFixit, take the keyboard off, and see if any paint got through to the logic board. Might just need to replace the keyboard.

8. Cristian .b thread starter macrumors member

I had cleaned it... But -1 to me for forgotting to take it in the post. im going to peek on the logic board another day.

9. WildCard^ macrumors regular

I would do it now, while the paint is potentially still soft.

Good luck.

10. Cristian .b thread starter macrumors member

Update

Yay! good news day. i got it to start by bypassing the SMC. I also found corrosion on the logic board. i am cleaning it away, and checking if it works then.

11. Cristian .b, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014

Cristian .b thread starter macrumors member

12. Cristian .b thread starter macrumors member

I think i have godlike luck now. it says its 20 hours till its charged 100%.