MacBook keyboard dead after this weekend

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by psiachris, Jul 16, 2008.

1. psiachris macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

hi. My 11/2007 mb keyboard and trackpad have stopped working. All was well until the weekends iTunes mobileme iPhone 2.0 updates. Started acting up Saturday but was able to get it working after a few reboots. Now dead. Am running the Apple hardware test. Is it related or do you think it's just coincidence? Any ideas would be very appreciated. Thanks.

2. ihabime macrumors 6502

I haven't seen any other posts about it and the updates shouldn't have anything to do with the keyboard/touchpad, so it's probabaly unrelated unless something went seriously wrong during the update. If you boot into single user mode, does the keyboard work? If not it sounds hardware related, lucky you're still in your applecare limit, I'd call Apple or bring it in to have it checked out.

3. psiachris thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

how do I boot into single user mode?edit: found command. I will try that. Hardware test is still running. Hoping to not have to take in as closest store is 2 hours and $$ in gas away. Thank you for replying.

4. ihabime macrumors 6502

hold down command-s while your mac is starting up, that will take you to a black DOS looking screen, try typing something, but don't hit return. If it works, delete what you typed and type reboot then hit return to restart your mac.

5. psiachris thread starter macrumors member

:(Didn't work, sadly.

Got off the phone w/tech support, all the gentleman tried didn't work so it looks like it's in for repairs. It also seems the timing is pure coincidence that it happened this past weekend after I had done all of the updating, playing w/MobileMe, iPhone, etc.

Disappointed but I suppose it happens.

Thanks for the assistance, I truly do enjoy and appreciate this site and the forums.

6. NewJorg macrumors newbie

Perhaps this will work?

Hi -

I just installed Leopard on my Macbook (which previously ran 10.4.11), since MobileMe wasn't running properly (and will it ever).

And, after just one day, I could not use my keyboard and trackpad at all on start up... only the wireless bluetooth mouse. But, sadly, a mouse can't type in login passwords. Nightmare.

Thankfully I could use my wife's iMac keyboard and hook it up directly to my Macbook.

I then searched for a file on my computer and found:

BUILT-IN KEYBOARD FIRMWARE UPDATE.APP
    (in Applications - Utilities)

GET INFO says it's version 1.0.1

I (re?)installed it, rebooted the computer and BINGO. It works.

Hope this will solve your problem, too.