Macbook Keyboard fritzing out

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mohicanspap, Mar 31, 2012.

1. mohicanspap macrumors regular

White plastic Macbook Unibody 2nd gen internal keyboard is registering as if I am holding down both "option" and both Shift keys down. Not too sure if this is a hardware issue or a software issue. Trackpad was acting funny too but was able to fix it with a restore but not a fresh restore. Any suggestions like replacing a ".kext" file? No wishes to perform a full restore. Minimal time usage would be prime.

Thank you!

2. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It's highly likely your keyboard is failing. A friend of mine with the same model just went through a similar experience. Once he replaced the keyboard, all was back to normal. I'm sorry I cannot remember the cost involved, but knowing him if it was high he would have just bought a new laptop.

3. mohicanspap thread starter macrumors regular

That's unfortunate. This keyboard did experience a small water spill but it was immediately tended too. But who knows that how much damage happened with that small time gap. I popped off all the plastic key pads and blasted it with some compressed air just to get any moisture out. Still no luck. I am trying a little terminal work with the AppleUSBTopCase.kext file. Maybe if I can uninstall it and reinstall it I can know for sure it is a hardware issue :T

4. malman89 macrumors 68000

Before you said anything about a water spillage, one thought that crossed my mind was perhaps your battery was either installed incorrectly or has swelled a bit and was pushing up against the keyboard/trackpad.

My Late 2006 MacBook had it happen before and I got a replacement battery out of warranty. I think it's happened again, but I'm just dealing with it and I don't think they would replace it again. It was barely noticeable the first time. Took a bunch of browsing for it to come up as a potential issue and then when the battery was out (but AC plugged in) typing worked just fine. I leave my laptop plugged in for far too long (99% of the time, always) so oh well.

5. mohicanspap thread starter macrumors regular

Success!!! So i got everything back to normal. Seemed to be a driver issue with the AppleUSBTopCover.Kext file. Just a little terminal work to uninstall and reinstall did the trick. And of course a large amount of permission changes in Disk Utility. But thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions! :)

6. AppleGirl97 macrumors newbie

My Macbook Pro is having the same problem, it seems that every time I try to use it the screen shakes and my trackpad clicks random things and flies around my screen. Ive tried rebooting but nothings helping! its not the key board. I can type completely fine.