Macbook keyboard gel covers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by goodtimes5, Jun 5, 2008.

1. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Does anyone have recommendations for keyboard gel covers for Macbook keyboards. You know, those gel pads you put over your keyboard to keep dirt and such from falling in and never coming out again.

2. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Been using i-Skin cover for the last 4 months ,I am very happy, the keyboard is pristine

3. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

agreed, the iskin works great on my mbp. I have noticed spots of collected dust marks on my screen though because closing the comp with a cover makes contact with the screen surface. They wipe out with a little lovin, I just recommend taking it off and not using it every now and then.:)

4. aye5882 macrumors member

it really doesn't matter which you get, they're all made from china and have the same quality. if you wanna save some money, get one from ebay for $10 shipped if you don't mind waiting like a week for it to get to you. iskin i believe cost $25 + tax from the apple store for the mbp.

there's an interesting one from amazon called Rasfox where the keyboard cover extends to cover the palm rests too. My brother has this for his macbook and i think its great. The only downside is that the left corner doesn't sit flush... but it prevents your macbook from getting dirty. actually, i just checked ebay and they have it too... just type in 'macbook keyboard cover'

good luck!

5. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Get the real iSkin version, rather than some awful unbranded one from eBay. The difference in quality is huge, in terms of both fit and feel.

[​IMG]

6. aye5882 macrumors member

are you serious? you're willing to pay almost twice as much just for the name? i guess you don't have to worry about money... i happen to have used both, and i'm currently using the ebay one, and there is absolutely no difference in quality.

7. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Even if they are both of the same quality (which I doubt), I would still buy the iSkin ProTouch for its antimicrobial properties, and because it would be much easier to return to, or get a replacement from iSkin than eBay.

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

9. aajad macrumors member

aajad

iSkin ProTouch for Apple Aluminum Wired Keyboard

Does anyone know if the iSkin actually covers the 1/8 inch aluminum around the keyboard or just the top of the Apple Aluminum Wired Keyboard? I bought the zCover at the Apple Store yesterday and have two weeks to return it. It feels pretty good but it would be nice if it extended over the sides just a bit.

10. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Based on the pictures on their website, it looks like it does:
    [​IMG]

11. vultureboy70 macrumors member

Gadgetwrap Keyskin is also another product out there. I have this and recommend it, I think I paid around $15 from Amazon marketplace. Keyskin and iSkin are comparable to each other, just make sure the stuff that's actually printed on the skin (ie. 123, abc) matches your keyboard. I've heard iSkin were behind on updating their products, but that was 6 months ago.