Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
odd, mines never done the caps lock or numlock thing, it may just be only half plugged into the logic board but i suppose you dont want to crack it open as it's so new.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Never heard of the numlock and capslock keys being inverted, ever. That's a weird one.

One question, just out of curiosity: Does the numlock key on the MacBook have a light like the Pro models? I remember that iBooks (and I think even 12" PBs) didn't, which proved horribly confusing to new users who accidentally bumped F6 and had no idea that numlock even existed.

grobi

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2006
Keyboard inverted

Hi,

I'm just having the same problem. I'm writing from a fresh formated macbook: New installed and the parameter
ram is zapped. All softwareupdates are done and the keyboard is inverted. The numlocklight and the capslocklight must be on, otherwise the keyboard works only in capital letters (capslock off) or as numblock (numlock off).

It is the second macbook, that must be returned! The first has had a defective superdrive.

On monday, I will call Apple.

Greetings from germany

Robert

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
Same thing on my MBP but only with the Num-Lock key and it doesn't always happen. Basically i start up the computer and the Num-Lock key LED in on, however i can type letters as normal. If i turn it off i go into Num-lock mode!

But as i said it only happens 1 in every 5 times i start the computer so i think it may be a software bug. And it doesn't bother me that much to demand a replacement. However the caps-lock key must be very confusing.

Just fix the darn whine Apple!!!!! I can forgive the heat and this num-lock thing but the whine seems to hit a nerve in my brain.

EDIT: Try to boot from the OSX discs and use Disk Utility to repair disks and permissions. I did that last week and i think it hasn't happened since. Not sure that will help but it's worth a try.

grobi

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2006
Keyboard inverted - Problem solved

Hi,

what helped,was:

Force Quit (Option-Command-Escape)
Restart (Control-Command-Power)
Force Shut Down (press the power button for 10 seconds)

Robert

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.