Macbook keyboard not working properly

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by damnit, Jul 8, 2013.

1. damnit macrumors newbie

Hello eveyone. I own a Macbook Unibody 2010 and i have a problem with it. Last winter (december) i spilled some wine over the keyboard. I let it about 2 weeks to dry out. When i turned it on i noticed that it worked perfectly but after one minute the keyboard got crazy. Some keys were not working at all and some did what other should have. The mousepad wasn't working as well. I had only right click, no left click (everywhere i touched it was right click) I also have Windows 7 on it via Bootcamp. When i turned it on on the Windows partition i noticed that everything works great but sometimes the CTRL key remained blocked and i had to unblock it from On-screen keyboard software. This issues dissapeared after some time and now appeared again. Might this be a software issue, not hardware?

Thanks for reading

2. maxosx macrumors 68020

No it's not software

It's a residual result of the wine spill. The fact that it worked after the spill despite being allowed a short drying period was just sheer luck.

Time to take it to Apple. There's no shortcuts around dealing with this properly.

3. damnit thread starter macrumors newbie

But why is it working on OS X for 1-2 minutes properly? And on windows works some time or till i press the 0 key and then the ctrl remains blocked till i unblock it.

4. Peter W macrumors newbie

Random Repeat / Repeating Keystrokes in Bootcamp

The problem could be software related. Our organisation has experienced -"sticky keys" extensively in Bootcamp. We have swapped keyboards, tried buying new ones and standard PC keyboards. We have re-loaded software and drivers, rebuilt computers, re-installed from images, all with no success. There is little literature or help that addresses the issue. We have had some occasional success swapping to the standard plug-in PC keyboard and back to an Apple keyboard, changing between USB outlets, rebooting between iOS and Windows via Bootcamp environment. We have tried Fusion and Parallel software too. Sometimes these things delay the effect or stabilise it, but the problem always returns.

It all started on one day in 2011 when all of our organisation's 25+ iMacs, MacBook Airs and MacBook Pro's including via Thunderbolt Displays experienced insertion of random keystrokes via Apple plug-in full keyboards while using Bootcamp. All Apple devices purchased since 2010 right to our latest Nov 2013 MacBook Pro with Windows 8 have the problem.

Much of the time dashes are randomly inserted but other keystrokes or even items copied might repeatedly be inserted without stopping until another key is typed or the ESC or Delete keys used.

It is doing it to me now and this is what is looks like:

-We have exper-ienced insertion----------- using all versions of iO-S and W-indows 7 and 8 since 2011.
    -
    -It has been the single most important reason for stopping our organisation's Apple hardware purchases.

Any help from anyone would be appreciated --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------