MacBook... Keyboard? Or Logic Board???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by WeeShoo, Sep 23, 2009.

1. WeeShoo macrumors regular

Hello,

I aquired a MacBook from a good friend of mine who spilled some kind of liquid on this MacBook. It will not power on. I opened up the machine, and I dont see any kind of residue or any rusting, nothing, it looks immaculate. My question is, could it be the keyboard that short circuited? What are my options? Can I manually test the logic board, or cpu? Thanks.

- Clint

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

It could just be the keyboard (the topcase), but you won't know until you try a replacement top case. I don't know of a way to test the logic board without the machine booting. Maybe visit an Apple Store or authorized Apple Service Provider and see if they can just try a different topcase.

3. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

every time you turn this on before it gets properly cleaned(which you're not going to be able to do yourself unless you have some sort of 100 khz ultrasonic cleaner and 99% or higher isopropyl alcohol) is another time you're potentially ruining something that isn't yet ruined. anyone who has to go around the board removing voltage regulator mosfets with tweezers and a hakko 851 to replace them after they get fried is going to charge lots of money for the process.

So I'd not try to turn it on.

If you are so inclined, you can find a keyboard on ebay for $25. You can't manually test the CPU since it's soldered directly to the board. Even if you're a surface mount soldering guru, you shouldn't **** with that. You can only test the motherboard/cpu/gpu as one entity.

for cleaners, most are 40 KHz. 40 KHz can on occasion work, but this is best left to PCBs to power amplifiers that have had electrolytic fluid drained onto them, not modern PCBs with all this tiny sensitive barely soldered on surface mount **** on them.

4. Cognacad macrumors newbie

Where.can.a.person.buy.a.keyboard.for.25$?They.are.all.60+.to.me.Did.these.include.a.trackpad.?

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

6. Cognacad macrumors newbie

7. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

That one's $25. You're seeing things.

It'll work with your macbook.

I suggest used. It won't be new for long, with that hammer mechanism Apple has going on.

That one claims to be new, but probably isn't. It's ebay.

8. Cognacad macrumors newbie

Sorry, I didn't say that it has 32$ shipping which is pretty darn high.

Also, why do you say it would work with my Macbook when my system is not listed on the page. That one has a cable and I need a bronze one :(

9. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

The shipping on the one I linked to was free via USPS priority mail.

If it doesn't work I will buy you a beer, and a new unibody macbook. There is the keyboard with the wire that is easily removable, and the keyboard with the wire that is not so easily removable. They are different, but both will work on the same model.

I'm pretty sure I've tested that before. 99% sure. I typically write this stuff down, but never wrote this.

I am going to say this once.

DO NOT TRUST COMPATIBILITY CLAIMS IN EBAY AUCTIONS!

These people have absolutely no clue, 99% of the time, of what they are selling. When I buy a screen, for example. 50% will tell me it is the model in the title, and be yessing me to death because they don't know any better. The other 50% will lie. This holds true for many different pieces of hardware.

One of my suppliers asked me what the difference was between matte and glossy when I requested one of each for an order of 50. They've been supplying these to numerous industries for seven years. For real. You can't make this **** up.

10. jw 1 macrumors member

Anyone got photos of water damage to the logic board? What would a minimal damage look like and what about a full fry mode??????