Macbook keyboard problems (Water Damage)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bjones521, Jun 10, 2010.

1. bjones521 macrumors regular

I recently spilled a bit of water on my macbook pro. Now the only letters that dont work are a, q, z, the delete buttons and the brightness buttons. Is this a pricey fix? Is there an easy way to fix this? Everything else works perfectly fine except those keys. When i press the delete caps lock comes on.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

What model of the MacBook Pro do you have — is it a silver keyboard or a black keyboard?

Silver keyboard models are usually cheaper to fix, while black keyboard models are a bit more expensive.

3. bjones521 thread starter macrumors regular

I have the black keyboard....late 2009 version

4. bjones521 thread starter macrumors regular

5. theJamie macrumors member

You could give support a call or go to a genius bar and see what they could do?

I spilt a huge glass of coke on my keyboard a while ago.

After I tore the whole machine apart and gave it an alcohol bath, it was working again, but the keyboard was messed up.

I ended up buying a brand new keyboard and whole top section for the macbook. That cost me around 100-150, depending on if you buy new,open box or used. I have a macbook and not macbook pro, but I'm assuming the price is similar.

7. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

+1, you could ask them to clean the boards with alcohol and a toothbrush or you could be like the poster above me and do it yourself.

8. bjones521 thread starter macrumors regular

9. Reapur macrumors regular

No offence but asking people here how much repairs are going to cost you is a little pointless. Why not just goto Apple and ask them and they can tell you directly. If you are trying to hide the fact that you spilled water on it, and get them to fix it under warranty dont bother, liquid damage is pretty obvious and there are special sensors built into the computer similar to the iPhone to change colour if liquid comes into contact with it. Just goto the Apple store and get the keyboard replaced, the manager could be nice and list the repair as under warranty but you will most likely have to pay out of pocket.

10. bjones521 thread starter macrumors regular

lol...thanx but someone just said to do that. U seem Very unhappy LOL

11. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

But it's the truth, as is made evident in attacking the person instead of the argument.

12. abhishek.singh macrumors newbie

mac keyboard snot functioning properly due to liquid spillage

i have perfect solution to this problem without spending a penny...

while cleaning the keyboard of apple mac some liquid spilled in and some of the keys on the keyboard were working wrong. , the caps lock key was working vice versa to the normal function ...

what i did without opening the keyboard . i kept the laptop open under the fan.. dried it for a while and checked it .. there was not any change

and then next day my mac book was showing some updates to install which it does on regular basis ... i installed the updates and the keyboard was restored to its normal working condition..

u are right i found this solution accidently.....

for intalling updates

go to system preferences

select "software update" under system

now under the tab "scheduled check" press "check now"

the computer will come up with all the updates . make sure u get mac osx update aswell along with the other softwares or mac application.....

do try it .. m sure it ll help

13. MrMacNasty macrumors member

What you talkin' bout Willis? Are you saying that installing software updates is going to repair hardware damage? If you are, let me know whatever it is that you and Kimberley are smoking as i'd like to get some of that stuff!