Macbook keyboard replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by marold280, Sep 22, 2008.

1. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

Hi, i have a first gen Macbook, and yes of course it has absolutely disgusting discolouration! AGGGRRR. i want to get a new top case thing.
    ive found one on ebay, but its from a core 2 duo model, will it work with my core duo model ? THANKYOU!!:D

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

3. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

I had the same question a week ago because mine top case had a crack in it. The apple store ended up replacing it for me. I've got one i'm bidding on...one of the newer style ones (where the F key configuration is mapped differently) with a day left and now I don't need it. If I win it (and i'm crossing my fingers I don't) I'll sell it to ya and you can find out ;) Or if you want, you can just outbid me!! i only bidded up to $15 so it wouldn't be hard to beat me :p

As for the Apple store, if they replace it, they will replace it part # for part #...they won't give you the newer one. Just a heads up.

4. Bobeder9 macrumors member

Have you tried a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? My MacBook was discolored pretty bad. I used the Magic Eraser and it came off like a champ. Good as new.

5. marold280 thread starter macrumors 6502

marold280

ooo thank-you.
    and another thing, i also tried to clean it with eye make up remover and the plastic started dissolving ! so its al crappy in the bottom right hand corner ! definitely want a new case =]
    and could you link me to the keyboard you are bidding on ? thanks

6. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

7. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Would you really use on your eye-lids something that has dissolved plastic? That must've been really effective make-up remover... ;)

8. marold280 thread starter macrumors 6502

marold280

right. let me get this clear. i have now purchased a macbook top keyboard case thing, and it is the new one with the new function buttons. will this work with my core duo macbook ? thanks =]=]

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Probably - the new style (Santa Rosa) topcase works fine on an early Core 2 Duo (late 2006) model and the function keys work the same way as they do on the SR MacBooks - f4 for dashboard etc. A core 2 Duo topcase works fine on a Core Duo machine. They appear to be backward compatible but do not work on later machines (Core Duo does not work on Core 2 etc)

My guess would be yes but you will have to try it and see......

10. eman macrumors 6502a

Apple had some bad keyboards and may still replace your keyboard for free. Give Applecare a call, even if your macbook is out of warranty.

11. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Contact AppleCare, they may replace it for free.

12. Let'smakeamovie macrumors newbie

macbook keyboard shell

the shell around the edges of my keyboard are chipping away, how can I fix that?

13. pdubak macrumors member

Do you mean the top case like where the edge of the computer is? That's a known and covered issue via an extended warranty good for 3 years from purchase. Take it in and get it replaced.

14. hawaiibee macrumors newbie

do you have a newer link to Apple for this issue?

i have the crack and would like it replaced , but i bought my MB 10/2007

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Maim macrumors member

its a well known thing so you wont need to show any proof. just take it to apple or an authorised premium reseller and they will fix it for free :)

16. hawaiibee macrumors newbie

Apple Alamoana (honolulu ,HI) told me they'll have to charge because its out of warranty...

17. BigAus macrumors member

Hawaiibee,

I bought my Macbook in the USA at the same time as you (late 2007) and had it fixed in Australia recently, no questions asked.

Seems like you called Applecare already, but maybe call them again and ask for a case number to take to the store. I'm pretty sure it is a well known issue at Apple.