Macbook Keyboard Switch Guide?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Whitebread, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Whitebread macrumors newbie

Does anyone know of a good guide online that shows you how to mod your keyboard?

I have a white macbook and would like to have a black macbook's keys

Got the parts, need the guide

Anyone?

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Is this what you are trying to do? Clicky? Good luck and be sure to post pictures of your results!

3. Whitebread thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, that's it, but I want to switch the entire keyboard

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

You switch just the keys unless you want to switch the entire topcase? Doing so will void your warranty too.

Check out the guides at iFixIt.com on complete guides with pictures.

5. Whitebread thread starter macrumors newbie

I just want to switch the keycaps to black, not the entire lower case

I looked around on ifixit.com, but I couldn't find anything. But thanks man, I will definitely use that site in the future

My macbook is already out of warranty also, plus I changed the apple on the top case to the old school apple logo

6. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I don't know but I thought the keys and top case were an all-in-one design, though I am typing on one now and can't see how... But I read somewhere if a key breaks you have to get the whole lot to replace it.

7. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

I don't know for the plastic Macbooks, but it's true for the Al Macbook. They remplaced the top case.

8. shawnpringle macrumors newbie

I would recommend replacing the entire topcase. Here is a guide: http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/v...p-case-and-keyboard-from-a-13-macbook-248940/
    If you want to replace JUST the key's, then you will have to pry each key off one at a time, being careful to not break of the scissor spring things.
    From here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=226423
    To remove the keys:

For the BOTTOM ROW of keys (ctrl, space etc.) pull the key at the topside (nearest to screen) until it lets go with a 'click' (this can be a bit scary, with every key I feared I had broken the mechanism, but it actually turns out to be quite sturdy); then slide the key towards the topside.

The spacebar is a little bit more tricky, as it is attached at two points, and furthermore is connected to two little metal bars, but with appropriate pressure, these will also let go.

For the keys above the bottom row such as 'M' the procedure is basically the same, but you'll have to pull at the LEFT side, and then also slide the key to the left in order to remove it.

Please note that I did not take off any other key above the bottom row other than 'M'. I don't think it's likely, but it could be that the keys on the left side of the keyboard are connected differently: be careful.

To reassemble:

First slide the key from top to bottom (or left to right, for keys above the bottom row), then push down for the 'click' (spacebar should have two clicks for the mechanism, and several for the little metal bar)

Hopefully some pictures will clarify the process:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/meneert...7600841485908/