MacBook Keyboard/Trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SuperCompu2, Oct 9, 2012.

1. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Hey guys,

My Black MacBook (2007) has been having an odd issue lately. The trackpad and keyboard will randomly stop working, both on startup/wakeup and even sometimes mid-use. I had this happen mid-use to me this morning.

Once the keyboard and track pad stop responding, there is no way to get them to become functional again. USB peripherals are tested working, and the power button on the top case still functions when the keyboard/trackpad have failed.

I've been able to rouse the keyboard/trackpad back into a working state with PRAM resets and battery pulls, but I can't seem to isolate what exactly causes the problem in the first place

Would a non-OEM battery possibly cause this? Faulty power adapter? Maybe loose ribbon cable? Anyone have any experience with a similar issue?

Help is appreciated! Thanks! :D

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

So, what you say is that external USB mouse/keyboard still works?

I don't think it's a loose ribbon, that would be very coincidental, I suspect an OS issue.

What happens if you start up in Safe mode, is it still there, if not it is the OS which plays up.
    Or start up in a different User Account, still there or not.

3. SuperCompu2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

USB Mouse/Keyboard do work. Yes.

Also, safe mode is not always an option, as sometimes it seems the keyboard does not respond on reboot. For example, CMD+OPT+P+R does not always reboot a second time for PRAM reset.

Is the power button connected to the power/data on the top case of this generation?

4. justperry, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Hmm, not working on a reboot points to hardware, The only thing you could do is open it up and inspect the connectors.

You could also check if the firmware is up to date, although I think that's already the case.

5. SuperCompu2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Failed again. This time, it can't be roused out of it's failed state. Beginning to think something failed internally.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Beginning to think I'll replace the top case, but the only spare I have is white...