Macbook keyboards hitting 2 buttons at once

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by leadchipmunk, Mar 14, 2012.

1. leadchipmunk macrumors newbie

In the school I work for, we have a cart with macbooks (13 inch, late 2008 models) that goes between the elementary grade classrooms. There are 2 macbooks in the cart that are not working correctly.

On one, the whole bottom and middle rows of letters will type each other, example would be hitting "A" or "Z" types "AZ", or "." or "L" type "L.", etc. It only does it across those two rows, and only across the letters and punctuation. Not the "Shift" or "Return" keys.
    I have popped the keys off a ran an air duster through it, and it didn't do anything to help the problem. No excessive dust under the keys, nor were there any signs of something spilled.

The other's keyboard is doing something similar, but only with certain keys, and they are not adjacent. Example: hitting the "delete" key will delete the previous character and will turn the volume up (or press "F12" depending on the settings), and hitting the "fn" key will hit it and will input the "[" character.
    Same troubleshooting as before, but no signs of damage.

Are these hardware problems? If so, will switching the keyboard make it work right? I have at least one free MacBook keyboard that was salvaged from a dead one, and have switched keyboards out for older model iBooks and MacBooks, so that wouldn't be a problem for me. I just want to know if there is something I'm missing here, or not.

Thanks,
    L_C

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I would try switching out the keyboards first - it does sound like liquid damage but may not be.

It is not unusual for random keys on A1181 MacBooks to not work or to give the impression of 2 keys being pressed together. Can sometimes be caused by a damaged ribbon cable between the top case and the motherboard.

Best to swap the keyboards over and then check everything is working properly before you reassemble....