Macbook Keyboards Interchangeable?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by EHUnlucky7x9@ao, Feb 6, 2009.

1. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I just wanted to know if the Version 1 and Version 2 Macbook keyboards are interchangeable?

I took a Santa Rosa keyboard which is version 2, and I plugged it into my late 2006 Macbook. I hit the power button and it doesn't want to turn the machine on. Did I break the connector or is the keyboard just incompatible?

I installed the version 1 keyboard onto a Santa Rosa Macbook (which needs the newer version 2 keyboard) and it worked perfectly fine.

Anyone know the answer to this?

2. oneEG6 macrumors member

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Santa Rosa is version 3
    late 2006 is version 2

both will have silver connection cables

Version 1 (Core Duo models) has orange connector...

If the V3 topcase is not working then you probably have broken the (pretty delicate) silver cable......

4. acurafan macrumors 6502a

so i can put the black macbook keyboard into say, my recently puchased white macbook? just a thought. :D

5. EHUnlucky7x9@ao thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks... I took apart the keyboard again and I took a look at the connector. The connector is torn off the small board. I guess I either have to buy a new top case or hope to find a new keyboard ribbon cable.

Yes, a black keyboard will work with any of the Macbook. The Core Duo keyboard layout is similar to the 2006 Core 2 Duo MB key layout. They changed it up with the Santa Rosa, but the buttons all work the same so long as your running 10.5 Leopard.

Information is SO Plentiful on Google! :D Can't believe I learned it all in one night.

Thanks MR community!

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

You should be able to push the cable back in (if it is the keyboard end) - there is a tiny clip which you have to lever up and then push the cable back in and flip the clip back down........

7. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Would I be able to take the white keys from my wireless keyboard and put them on my MacBook Aluminium?