macbook killer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tekksan, Dec 1, 2009.

1. tekksan macrumors regular

2. peto01 macrumors member

3. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Energy efficient, single core 1.3 GHz Intel Pentium Dual-Core SU4100 processor with ultra-low voltage for extended battery life

This has hardly one quarter of the processing power of the base macbook.

It's a nice laptop for surfing the web though.

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Acer has quickly become the most reliable manufacturer out there.

5. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oh please, why do people insist on putting macbook killer (or iPhone killer)

If the OP even looked at the specifications of the acer, he'd see that it fails to come close to what the MBP is capable of, even the low end MacBook blows it away.

7. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

8. Puqq macrumors regular

Everything, that does not have bitten apple sign on the back, is crap, yeah?

It's a nice laptop, but of very different class. It has similar battery life and (presumably) build quality, but is way slower (CPU and GPU) and has terrible screen. Basically, it's just a different segment...

Read on http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-TravelMate-8471-Timeline-Notebook.22532.0.html (similar)

If you want a MBP killer, go for Dell XPS 13/16 or HP Envy 15. These have similar price and build quality, but are faster. However, they do not seem to be killing very effectively, do they?

9. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

It looks like a good cheap thin-and-light, but as was said earlier it shouldn't be compared to any of the MacBook line. This PC isn't necessarily meant to be a main computer -- it's a bit more like a larger netbook.

What I'm wondering is why do so many PC laptops (even smaller and thinner ones like this guy) still have VGA ports? We aren't using CRTs anymore...

10. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Most projectors and TV's have VGA ports. And most people don't get a new projector or computer every 2 years which is as long as HDMI has been out.

11. neteng101 macrumors 65816

I think the OP really meant to say netbook killer and got confused. :rolleyes:

Can't see why people would want an Atom anymore except they're dirt cheap and you get what you pay for.

12. foiden macrumors 6502a

Interesting specs. The processor speed and the use of the Intel Graphics Accelerator almost seems criminal when using DDR3 ram. Still, it's interesting to see that the intel addresses so much ram. A GB is usable by the graphics card? I guess it's up to how that specific model of Intel graphics actually performs. They really haven't given a good name for themselves, when it comes to speed; but maybe this is the day they might compete. I still feel that the card itself is probably way underperforming compared to the ram it can address at max.

Just like the older cards like the Geforce7600. It was nice that they had models that could access 512M of ram, but the cards were obsolete before games would even dare utilize that ram (or have the card gain any performance boost because of it). The same deal is likely for this card. Reports are that it still is nowhere in the league with the 9400M cards.

13. covertyows macrumors member

exactly. garbage processor.

14. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

On the other hand, i can see one of these intel CULV processors finding their way into the Air on its next revision.

15. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

16. Takashi macrumors regular

It's not a bad laptop to start with. I don't know why there is so much arrogant individuals in a mac forumn. Sure the computer doesn't have a glow in the dark apple logo behind the LCD but it does not mean it's a piece of junk.

Personally I don't think the MBP is the ultimate piece of engineering as it claims to me. It has the strenghts, but it also has its shortcomings. If I have extra $ on hand I am not afraid to take the Acer computer a try.

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, I mean Acer...

18. flakes8 macrumors regular

flakes8

Hey, my mom has better taste than that.....LOL :D

19. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

DDR3 ram is not a performance commodity. It's become the standard. It's cheaper to produce. DDR2 prices are going up.

20. pnyc macrumors 6502

Are you kidding? Mac forums are THE place for arrogant people, blind fanboyism is the M.O. of many who post here.

As per the product mentioned by the OP, it's simply silly to compare it to the MB as the two are so fundamentally different.