Macbook Laggy Animations

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djinn, Feb 1, 2008.

1. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I know there are other threads on this but I figured I would ask anyway. Just bought a new Macbook and experiencing some laggy animations with the genie effect, dashboard, and spaces. Wondering if there is a quick cure for this or should I wait til 10.5.2 that could address this issue.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the animations use some cpu power as well as the integrated graphics memory. make sure that Spotlight or Time Machine arent running and taking up some cpu load. after they have finished try it out.

grid stacks and spaces are a little laggy on my MacBook Pro with 128 MB graphics memory. im also hoping that 10.5.2 will fix this. you would think Apple would make these animations compatible on their recent hardware.

3. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

Yeah I knew spotlight was doing its indexing when I first launched OS X. I gave it a long time and verified that CPU was idle. Its kind of weird. I had this problem with my MBP but doesn't experience the laggy anymore.

4. writeous macrumors regular

graphics are much smootther when you use the 2D dock.

5. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Well, stacks in fan and grid open smoothly here when a lot apps are open, but if you have a grid stacks of like over 30 apps, expect it to be nasty looking.

I found out that when switching to a space with imovie running in it, it will be very laggy.

6. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

On my macbook pro, when I have the animated wallpaper going, the graphics are laggy.

I have close to 50 apps in one of my stacks, and there is some very, very slight lag when I open it, but it's really only bad when I'm on battery since it throttles down everything to maximize battery life.

I do hope 10.5.2 fixes the lag.

7. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I'm using a 20" iMac with 256MB.

Looks a little laggy here (particularly grid view for my Applications stack) and I only have Safari open. (300MB RAM unused, processor 96% idle on average)

8. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

you have 256mb of ram??????? leopard requires 512mb!!!

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

no he means 256 MB VRAM (graphics memory). no 20" iMac ever shipped with < 512 MB RAM

10. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Thank god.

11. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I actually have 1GB of RAM (as it says in my signature, not so clearly though)

Yup. I didn't put "of VRAM" because we were on the topic of video cards. Sorry for the confusion!

12. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Even my mac pro in my sig sometimes gets lag with some animations. I think its a OS X issue. for example time machine lags sometimes. Also first time i drag a widget out it sometimes lags. :(

13. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

Everything runs smooth on my MBP so I took the Time Machine image and applied it to my Macbook. Everything runs smooth on my Macbook now.

14. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

How did you do that?

15. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

Installed the OS on the Macbook, then prompted to restore from time machine I checked that and did the restore. I just didn't have the laptop on the network so I wouldn't get a hostname conflict.

Now I have all my apps and stuff from my MBP on my macbook. And runs awesome.

16. iBunny macrumors 65816

I get lag too when going into Dashboard, Spaces, and Expose' for the first time after a restart. Then everything is all good to go.

MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz/4GB Ram/256MB VRam/OS 10.5.1

I do think that this is a Graphics Driver Issue, and should be resolved with 10.5.2. If its not fixed with this next OS update, It will never be fixed.

I know that 10.5.2 I suppose to fix "So Many" issues. However the only issues I have encountered are the Laggy/Sub Par Graphics, and the Wirless performance. So lets hope it gets fixed.